Evaluate length of the spiral (Line Integral)

In summary, evaluating the length of a spiral through a line integral is a useful tool for calculating the total distance traveled along a curve. This method involves breaking down the curve into infinitesimal segments and integrating the distance formula. To do this, you will need the parametric equations for the curve, the limits of integration, and the formula for calculating distance between two points. Although there are other methods for calculating the length of a spiral, using a line integral is often the most efficient and accurate. However, this method is limited to smooth and continuous curves and requires knowledge of the parametric equations for the spiral.
says

Homework Statement

Evaluate the length of the spiral with parametric equation ψ(t) =< 2 cost, 2 sin t, π/t >, with t ∈ [0, 2π].

Homework Equations

Line integral ∫C f(x,y) dS

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x,y) = z = π/t
C π/t dS
[0, 2π] are the lower and upper bounds of integration
dS= √(dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2

∫ π/t √(dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2 ; 0≤t≤2π

Just wanted to check I've set this problem up correctly. At first I thought dS = √(dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2 + (dz/dt)2 and that I would just integrate that with respect to the boundaries. I don't think this is correct though. I don't really understand why though.

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the length of the spiral with parametric equation ψ(t) =< 2 cost, 2 sin t, π/t >, with t ∈ [0, 2π].

Homework Equations

Line integral ∫C f(x,y) dS

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x,y) = z = π/t
C π/t dS
[0, 2π] are the lower and upper bounds of integration
dS= √(dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2

∫ π/t √(dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2 ; 0≤t≤2π

Just wanted to check I've set this problem up correctly. At first I thought dS = √(dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2 + (dz/dt)2 and that I would just integrate that with respect to the boundaries. I don't think this is correct though. I don't really understand why though.

Since you have a curve in 3D, you need to use a different formula (as in your first thought):
[tex]ds = \sqrt{x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2 + z'(t)^2} \, dt [/tex]
However, since you have an improper integral, you need to look at the limit
[tex] \lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{2 \pi} ds [/tex]

Actually, right hand side of your expression for ##dS## is not really a differential is it? How would you make the right hand side equal ##dS##?

Ray Vickson said:
Since you have a curve in 3D, you need to use a different formula (as in your first thought):
[tex]ds = \sqrt{x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2 + z'(t)^2} \, dt [/tex]
However, since you have an improper integral, you need to look at the limit
[tex] \lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{2 \pi} ds [/tex]

Paul Colby said:
Actually, right hand side of your expression for ##dS## is not really a differential is it? How would you make the right hand side equal ##dS##?

First, it is standard to use ##ds## for the differential of arc length and ##dS## for the differential of surface area. That being said, I think Ray mis-spoke when he wrote $$\lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{2 \pi} ds\text{.}$$ If you were really going to parameterize it by arc length it would be$$ \lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{l(C)} ds$$where ##l(C)## is the length of the curve ##C##. But you wouldn't normally actually do that. You would use your parameterization and calculate$$\lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{2 \pi} |\vec R'(t)|~dt\text{.}$$That integrand is what you would call ##ds## (in terms of ##dt##).

LCKurtz said:
First, it is standard to use ##ds## for the differential of arc length and ##dS## for the differential of surface area. That being said, I think Ray mis-spoke when he wrote $$\lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{2 \pi} ds\text{.}$$ If you were really going to parameterize it by arc length it would be$$ \lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{l(C)} ds$$where ##l(C)## is the length of the curve ##C##. But you wouldn't normally actually do that. You would use your parameterization and calculate$$\lim_{a \to 0+} \int_a^{2 \pi} |\vec R'(t)|~dt\text{.}$$That integrand is what you would call ##ds## (in terms of ##dt##).

That is actually what was meant by what I wrote, since I defined ##ds## as ##|\vec{R'}(t)| \, dt## in #2, so ##t## is the dummy variable of integration. Bad notation, perhaps.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of evaluating the length of the spiral using a line integral?

The purpose of evaluating the length of the spiral through a line integral is to calculate the total distance traveled along a curve, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in physics and engineering.

2. How is the length of the spiral calculated using a line integral?

The length of the spiral can be calculated using a line integral by breaking down the curve into infinitesimal segments and integrating the distance formula along the curve. This involves finding the parametric equations for the spiral and setting up the integral accordingly.

3. What information is needed to evaluate the length of a spiral using a line integral?

To evaluate the length of a spiral using a line integral, you will need the parametric equations for the curve, the limits of integration, and the formula for calculating the distance between two points in terms of the parametric variables.

4. Can the length of a spiral be calculated using other methods besides a line integral?

Yes, the length of a spiral can also be calculated using other methods such as using an arc length formula, using polar coordinates, or using a curve length formula. However, using a line integral is often the most efficient and accurate method.

5. Are there any limitations to evaluating the length of a spiral using a line integral?

One limitation of using a line integral to evaluate the length of a spiral is that it can only be used for smooth and continuous curves. If the curve has sharp turns or discontinuities, the line integral will not give an accurate result. Additionally, the parametric equations for the spiral must be known in order to set up the line integral, so it may not be applicable in all scenarios.