Evaluating $$\alpha \longrightarrow \beta + \overline{\beta}$$ Feynman Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a first order Feynman diagram involving a scalar field, a Dirac particle, and its anti particle. The vertex factor is given as -ik and the process of evaluating the diagram involves writing down the vertex factor and adding spinors for the outgoing fermions. The amplitude is then determined to be k times the product of the spinors for the beta and anti-beta particles.
c++guru
If I have a scalar field $$\alpha$$ and a Dirac particle $$\beta$$ and its anti particle $$\overline{\beta}$$ such that the three couple to give a vertex factor of $$-ik$$ when evaluating the Feynman diagram (where k is an arbitrary constant).
How do I evaluate the first order diagram of $$\alpha \longrightarrow \beta + \overline{\beta}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
With that vertex factor, I assume you have something like ##-k \bar\beta \beta \alpha## in the Lagrangian density. It should be a simple matter of writing down the vertex factor and adding spinors for the outgoing fermions.

Likes c++guru
Orodruin said:
in the Lagrangian density. It should be a simple matter of writing down the vertex factor and adding spinors for the outgoing fermions.
Could you please give me an explicit expression? I'm not sure mine is correct.

Since this is a homework-like question, it will be in more accordance with forum guidelines if you first show your attempt including your reasoning. I (or someone else) can then help you to iron out any misunderstandings or misconceptions.

Orodruin said:
Since this is a homework-like question, it will be in more accordance with forum guidelines if you first show your attempt including your reasoning. I (or someone else) can then help you to iron out any misunderstandings or misconceptions.

Of Course

I believe the amplitude simply evaluates to

$$ k\overline{U}^{(s)}V^{(s)}$$

where U is the spinor of the Beta and V is the spinor of the anti Beta, just from simply accounting for the spinors and the vertex factor.

1. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of the mathematical calculations involved in particle interactions. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman to simplify complex calculations in quantum field theory.

2. How do you read a Feynman diagram?

In a Feynman diagram, particles are represented by lines, with arrows indicating the direction of motion. Interactions between particles are represented by vertices where the lines meet. The time axis is usually represented on the vertical axis, with the horizontal axis representing space. To read the diagram, follow the lines and arrows from left to right, representing the progression of time.

3. What does the alpha symbol represent in the alpha to beta decay Feynman diagram?

The alpha symbol represents an alpha particle, which is a helium-4 nucleus consisting of two protons and two neutrons. In alpha decay, a nucleus emits an alpha particle and transforms into a new nucleus with one less atomic number.

4. What does the beta symbol represent in the alpha to beta decay Feynman diagram?

The beta symbol represents a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron (anti-electron). In beta decay, a nucleus emits a beta particle and transforms into a new nucleus with one more or one less atomic number.

5. Why is it important to evaluate Feynman diagrams?

Evaluating Feynman diagrams allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions. It helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. This information is crucial in fields such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology.