Evaluating an Improper Integral using a Double Integral

In summary: C" is completely independent of y.No, you can't do that. You can't evaluate ##\ln(0)##. Also, your limits of integration are wrong. If ##x= 0##, then both 2x and 6x are also 0, not 0 and ##\infty##.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

Here is a more interesting problem to consider. We want to evaluate the improper integral

[tex]\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\tan^{-1}(6x)-\tan^{-1}(2x)}{x}dx[/tex]

Do it by rewriting the numerator of the integrand as [tex]\intop_{f(x)}^{g(x)}h(y)dy[/tex] for appropriate [itex]f, g, h[/itex] and then reversing the order of integration in the resulting double integral.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

Writing the numerator of the integrand as an integral:
[tex]\Rightarrow\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dy}{x}dx[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x}\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dydx[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{x}\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dxdy[/tex]

But it seems to be a dead end from here since you have to evaluate x at infinity and 0. I don't know how to continue from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you change the limits of integration so the interior limits are in terms of y? And the exterior limits might be for y from zero to infinity.

whoareyou said:
[tex]\Rightarrow\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dy}{x}dx[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x}\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dydx[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{x}\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dxdy[/tex]
Minor point. The "implies" arrow, ##\Rightarrow##, should not be used in place of =; i.e., between expressions that have equal values. Because it means "implies" you also shouldn't use it is the first symbol you write in your work.

"Implies" should be used between two statements (generally equations or inequalities) where the first being true means that the following statement will also be true.

As a simple example,
$$x^2 - 3x + 2 = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow (x - 2)(x - 1) = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow x = 2 \text{ or } x = 1$$

RUber said:
Can you change the limits of integration so the interior limits are in terms of y? And the exterior limits might be for y from zero to infinity.

I don't understand? The question specifically says that the bounds for the integral in the numerator should be functions of x.

Edit: I think I made a mistake with the bounds when I switched the order of integration. I think it should be:

[tex]\intop_{y/2}^{y/6}\frac{1}{x}\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dxdy[/tex]

But I still run into the same problem ...

Mark44 said:
Minor point. The "implies" arrow, ##\Rightarrow##, should not be used in place of =; i.e., between expressions that have equal values. Because it means "implies" you also shouldn't use it is the first symbol you write in your work.

"Implies" should be used between two statements (generally equations or inequalities) where the first being true means that the following statement will also be true.

As a simple example,
$$x^2 - 3x + 2 = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow (x - 2)(x - 1) = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow x = 2 \text{ or } x = 1$$

Thanks for the explanation! I always try to make my answers more formal by trying to write my solutions as they would appear in the textbook.

Last edited:
Your 1/x should be inside the integral with respect to x. Also the limits in terms of y have to be on the inside integral with respect to x. That should take care if the infinity problem.

whoareyou said:

Homework Statement

Here is a more interesting problem to consider. We want to evaluate the improper integral

[tex]\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\tan^{-1}(6x)-\tan^{-1}(2x)}{x}dx[/tex]

Do it by rewriting the numerator of the integrand as [tex]\intop_{f(x)}^{g(x)}h(y)dy[/tex] for appropriate [itex]f, g, h[/itex] and then reversing the order of integration in the resulting double integral.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

But it seems to be a dead end from here since you have to evaluate x at infinity and 0. I don't know how to continue from here.

You start with
[tex] \int_{x=0}^{\infty} \int_{y=2x}^{6x} \cdots \: dy \: dx [/tex]
Here, ##x## goes from 0 to ##\infty## and ##y## goes from ##2x## to ##6x##. So, if you draw an ##xy## diagram and plot the integration region, you will see that any ##y## from ##0## to ##\infty## can occur, and for any fixed ##y > 0##, ##x## will run from ##y/6## to ##y/2##. Thus, you can write, instead:
[tex] \int_{y=0}^{\infty} \int_{x=y/6}^{y/3} \cdots \: dx \: dy[/tex]

But it seems to be a dead end from here since you have to evaluate x at infinity and 0. I don't know how to continue from here.[/QUOTE]

When you change the order of integration you have to change the limits accordingly. You need to draw a picture of the region of integration to see the dxdy limits. Draw a picture of the region described in the first integral above between ##y=2x## and ##y=6x## as ##x## goes from ##0## to ##\infty##. Then set it up as a dxdy integral using the picture.

Following your suggestions, I got this:
$$\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\tan^{-1}(6x)-\tan^{-1}(2x)}{x}dx$$
[tex]=\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dy}{x}dx[/tex]
[tex]=\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x}\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dydx[/tex]
[tex]=\intop_{0}^{\infty}\intop_{2x}^{6x}\frac{1}{x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dydx[/tex]
[tex]=\intop_{0}^{\infty}\intop_{y/6}^{y/2}\frac{1}{x}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dxdy[/tex]
[tex]=\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}\intop_{y/6}^{y/2}\frac{1}{x}dxdy[/tex]
[tex]=\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}[\ln(x)]^{y/2}_{y/6}dy[/tex]
[tex]=\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}[\ln(3)]dy[/tex]
[tex]=\ln(3)\intop_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+y^{2}}dy[/tex]
[tex]=\ln(3)[\tan^{-1}(x)]^{\infty}_{0}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\pi}{2}\ln(3)[/tex]

This seems to be the correct answer. However, I'm unsure of the validity of the steps. Like in the third step, is it legal to just bring the 1/x inside the second integral?

Yes, that is always valid. As far as integration with respect to y is concerned, "x" is a constant. [itex]\frac{1}{x}\int_{2x}^{6x} \frac{1}{x^2+ 1} dy= \int_{2x}^{6x} \frac{1}{x}\frac{1}{y^2+ 1} dy[/itex] is exactly the same as [itex]C\int_{2x}^{6x} \frac{1}{x^2+ 1} dy= \int_{2x}^{6x} C\frac{1}{y^2+ 1} dy[/itex]

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is unbounded at one or more points within the interval of integration.

2. Why is a double integral used to evaluate an improper integral?

A double integral is used to evaluate an improper integral because it allows us to integrate over a larger region, including the infinite or unbounded portions of the integrand. This results in a more accurate and precise evaluation of the improper integral.

3. How do you set up a double integral to evaluate an improper integral?

To set up a double integral for evaluating an improper integral, we first identify the limits of integration and the integrand. We then extend the limits of integration to include the infinite or unbounded portions of the integrand. Finally, we integrate over the extended region using the double integral formula.

4. Can any improper integral be evaluated using a double integral?

No, not all improper integrals can be evaluated using a double integral. Some improper integrals may require other methods such as the method of residues or the Cauchy principal value. It is important to carefully analyze the integrand and its behavior to determine the appropriate method for evaluation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a double integral to evaluate an improper integral?

Yes, there may be limitations to using a double integral to evaluate an improper integral. For example, if the integrand is not continuous or does not have a finite limit at the point of singularity, the double integral may not converge. Additionally, some integrands may require complex analysis techniques for evaluation.