Evaluating Fresnel Integrals Using Euler Formula

In summary, to evaluate the integrals C = 0inf∫cos(x2) dx and S = 0inf∫sin(x2) dx, we use the Euler formula to write the integral for F = C + iS. Squaring the integral and evaluating it in polar coordinates with a convergence factor, we get F = sqrt(pi/4) e^(i/4) which simplifies to sqrt(pi/8). This can be used to find the values of C and S, which are both equal to sqrt(pi/8).
iggyonphysics

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integrals C = 0inf∫cos(x2) dx and S = 0inf∫sin(x2) dx

Homework Equations

[/B]
Hint: use Euler formula to write the integral for F = C + iS. Square the integral and evaluate it in polar coordinates. Temporary add a convergence factor.

Answer: C = S = sqrt(pi/8)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Abbreviated form)

F2 = 1/4 0inf∫ eix^2dx 0inf∫eiy^2dy

F2 = pi/2 0inf∫ eir^2 r dr

F2 = pi/4 0inf∫eiudu

Now I think the convergence factor comes in here, but I am not entirely sure how that works.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
iggyonphysics said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integrals C = 0inf∫cos(x2) dx and S = 0inf∫sin(x2) dx

Homework Equations

[/B]
Hint: use Euler formula to write the integral for F = C + iS. Square the integral and evaluate it in polar coordinates. Temporary add a convergence factor.

Answer: C = S = sqrt(pi/8)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Abbreviated form)

F2 = 1/4 0inf∫ eix^2dx 0inf∫eiy^2dy

F2 = pi/2 0inf∫ eir^2 r dr

F2 = pi/4 0inf∫eiudu

Now I think the convergence factor comes in here, but I am not entirely sure how that works.

I imagine I wind up with something like F2= i*pi/4 and F = sqrt(i*pi/4) and since S and C are equal, they must each equal sqrt(pi/8).

Thanks!

You can look at
[tex] J_r = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-ru} e^{iu} \, du,[/tex]
where ##r > 0##. Then take the limit as ##r \to 0##.

Likes blue_leaf77
Great, so that just comes to i, correct?

So,

F^2=π/4 eiπ/2 --> F = ei/4sqrt(π/4)

How do I get to S and C from here? (I know if I evaluate the product of sqrt(π/4) and sin(π/4)2 it spits out sqrt(π/8). Why does this work?)

1. What are Fresnel Integrals?

Fresnel Integrals are mathematical functions that are used to describe the diffraction of light or sound waves as they pass through a small aperture or around an obstacle. They were first introduced by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the early 19th century.

2. How are Fresnel Integrals evaluated?

Fresnel Integrals are evaluated using numerical methods, such as Simpson's rule or Gaussian quadrature, as they cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. These methods involve dividing the interval of integration into smaller segments and approximating the integral within each segment.

3. What are some applications of Fresnel Integrals?

Fresnel Integrals have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, including optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics. They are used in the design of lenses, antennas, and other wave-based systems, as well as in the analysis of diffraction patterns and wave propagation.

4. Can Fresnel Integrals be evaluated analytically?

No, Fresnel Integrals cannot be evaluated analytically due to their complex nature. However, there are some special cases where they can be expressed in terms of elementary functions, such as when the argument is zero or infinity.

5. Are there any practical limitations to evaluating Fresnel Integrals?

Yes, there are some limitations to evaluating Fresnel Integrals, particularly in cases where the argument is very large or very small. In these cases, the numerical methods used to evaluate the integrals may encounter numerical instability or round-off errors, leading to inaccurate results. Additionally, the accuracy of the evaluation may also depend on the chosen method and the number of segments used for approximation.