Integral using the gamma function

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral and the attempt at solving it using a power series. However, the integral does not converge and there is a question about why the original integral should converge if its parts do not.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

I am trying to evaluate the following integral: ##\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 (1 - e^{-x}) x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I split the above integral, I get the following ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx - \Gamma (-\frac{1}{2})## = ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx + 2 \sqrt{\pi}##, but that integral doesn't converge, so I'm not sure now what I should do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to evaluate the following integral: ##\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 (1 - e^{-x}) x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I split the above integral, I get the following ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx - \Gamma (-\frac{1}{2})## = ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx + 2 \sqrt{\pi}##, but that integral doesn't converge, so I'm not sure now what I should do.
I haven't done it, but what about taking the power series for ##e^{-x}##, splitting ##x^{-\frac{3}{2}}=x^{-1}\cdot x^{-\frac{1}{2}}## and multiplying ##(1-e^{-x})x^{-1}##?

fresh_42 said:
I haven't done it, but what about taking the power series for ##e^{-x}##, splitting ##x^{-\frac{3}{2}}=x^{-1}\cdot x^{-\frac{1}{2}}## and multiplying ##(1-e^{-x})x^{-1}##?
If I use the power series of ##e^{-x}##, then what I get is that ##(1-e^{-x})x^{-1} = 1 - \frac{x}{2!} + \frac{x^2}{3!} - \frac{x^3}{4!} + \cdots##, which I don't see to be useful.

Also, one question, if we find that ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx## doesn't converge, why should ##\int^{\infty}_0 (1 - e^{-x}) x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx## converge at all?

Mr Davis 97 said:
If I use the power series of ##e^{-x}##, then what I get is that ##(1-e^{-x})x^{-1} = 1 - \frac{x}{2!} + \frac{x^2}{3!} - \frac{x^3}{4!} + \cdots##, which I don't see to be useful.

Also, one question, if we find that ##\int^{\infty}_0 x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx## doesn't converge, why should ##\int^{\infty}_0 (1 - e^{-x}) x^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, dx## converge at all?
Yes, you're right. So back to your calculation. Can you show how you ended up at ##\int x^{-\frac{3}{2}}dx -\Gamma(-\frac{1}{2})##?

The integral ##\int^{\infty}_0 e^{-x} x^{-3/2} \, dx## is not ## \Gamma (-\frac{1}{2})##. It's divergent. The defining relation ##\int^{\infty}_0 e^{-x} x^{n-1} dx = \Gamma(n)## only holds for ##Re(n) \gt 0##.

Last edited:

What is the gamma function?

The gamma function, denoted by Γ(z), is an extension of the factorial function to complex numbers. It is defined as Γ(z) = ∫ e-ttz-1dt, where the integral is taken from 0 to infinity.

How is the gamma function used in integrals?

The gamma function is used to evaluate integrals of the form ∫ xne-xdx, where n is a positive real number. This is known as the gamma integral, and it can be expressed in terms of the gamma function: ∫ xne-xdx = Γ(n+1).

What is the relationship between the gamma function and the factorial function?

The gamma function is an extension of the factorial function to complex numbers. For positive integers, n!, the factorial function and the gamma function are equivalent: n! = Γ(n+1).

Are there any properties of the gamma function that are useful in evaluating integrals?

Yes, the gamma function has several properties that are useful in evaluating integrals. These include the reflection formula, the duplication formula, and the recurrence relation. These properties make it possible to simplify complex integrals involving the gamma function.

Are there any other applications of the gamma function besides evaluating integrals?

Yes, the gamma function has many other applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in probability theory, number theory, and complex analysis. It also has applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.