Every convergent sequence has a monotoic subsequence

In summary, to prove that every convergent sequence has a monotone subsequence, we define the limit L of the sequence and note that any epsilon-ball around L contains infinitely many points. We then choose a subsequence by selecting elements from the set (L, infinity) or (-infinity, L). To ensure monotonicity, we select elements such that each subsequent element is contained within the previous element and there are infinitely many elements to choose from. To make this proof more rigorous, additional supporting details and descriptions are needed, such as clarifying the direction of the sequence and addressing the possibility of repeated elements in the subsequence.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that every convergent sequence has a monotone subsequence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Define ##L## to be the limit of ##(a_n)##. Then every ##\epsilon##-ball about L contains infinitely many points. Note that ##(L, \infty)## or ##(-\infty, L)## (or both) has infinitely many elements. Suppose that ##(L, \infty)## has infinitely many elements. Choose ##n_1## such that ##a_{n_1} \in (L, \infty)##. Choose ##n_2 \in (L,a_{n_1})##. In general, choose ##n_{k+1}## such that ##a_{n_{k+1}} \in (L, a_{n_{k}})##. This assignment can always be made since there are infinitely many elements of ##(a_n)## in ##(L, a_{n_{k}})## to choose from such that ##a_{n_{k+1}} \in (L, a_{n_{k}})##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question about this? I think it is a good start and only needs more supporting detailed statements to make it a rigorous proof.

FactChecker said:
Do you have a question about this? I think it is a good start and only needs more supporting detailed statements to make it a rigorous proof.
I guess my question then would be what supporting detailed statements do I need? As of now this is the best I can do, so I'm trying to see what I'm missing in terms of rigor.

Just add more description. The words do not cost you anything. What about the lower interval? Is the sequence increasing or decreasing? Monitone because?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Then every ##\epsilon##-ball about L contains infinitely many points.

It need not contain infinitely many distinct points. The sequence 2,2,2,2,... converges to 2.

Likes FactChecker

What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the sequence progresses. This value is called the limit of the sequence.

What is a monotonic subsequence?

A monotonic subsequence is a subsequence of numbers from a given sequence that either increases or decreases in value. In other words, the terms of the subsequence are either always increasing or always decreasing.

Why is it important for a convergent sequence to have a monotonic subsequence?

Having a monotonic subsequence is important because it allows us to prove that the given sequence is convergent. This is because a monotonic subsequence has a well-defined limit, and if the terms of the subsequence are getting closer and closer to this limit, then the original sequence must also have the same limit.

How do you prove that every convergent sequence has a monotonic subsequence?

This theorem can be proved using the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, which states that every bounded sequence must have a convergent subsequence. By applying this theorem to a given convergent sequence, we can show that it must also have a monotonic subsequence.

Can a convergent sequence have more than one monotonic subsequence?

Yes, a convergent sequence can have multiple monotonic subsequences. This is because there can be multiple ways in which the terms of a sequence can either increase or decrease. However, all of these subsequences will have the same limit as the original sequence.