What's the Future of Physics?

In summary, physics is a branch of science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. Its main areas include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Physics has a significant impact on our daily lives, from technology to natural phenomena. The scientific method in physics involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and drawing conclusions. Some common misconceptions about physics are that it's only for geniuses, all about complicated math, and a boring subject. In reality, anyone can learn and understand physics, and it is a fascinating and dynamic field.
Physics_is_beautiful
How did you find PF?
Via a google search
Just a thread to discuss ideas and questions of physics. I plan on becoming a theoretical physicist after I graduate, and feel that enriching discussions here will help further that cause.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone answer the question "why is inertia caused?"
been looking for answers everywhere, but I can't seem to find anything solid.
(Keep in mind, I am only a high school student, sorry If I make an error or smth)

Check Mach's Hypothesis that inertia is the combined result of the gravitational attraction of all the stars in the Universe. As far as I know, the Hypothesis still holds. Whether it is correct or not, that's another matter.

apostolosdt said:
Check Mach's Hypothesis that inertia is the combined result of the gravitational attraction of all the stars in the Universe. As far as I know, the Hypothesis still holds. Whether it is correct or not, that's another matter.
@PeroK

Physics_is_beautiful said:
How did you find PF?: Via a google search

Just a thread to discuss ideas and questions of physics. I plan on becoming a theoretical physicist after I graduate, and feel that enriching discussions here will help further that cause.
Welcome to PF. :smile:

The New Member Introduction forum is for brief introductory posts only, not for questions. When you have a general question, start a new thread in the appropriate forum and mark the thread title prefix either "B" for Basic (high school level) or "I" for Intermediate (undergraduate university level).

When you have a question related to your schoolwork, please post that in the appropriate section of the Homework Help forums, and be sure to show your work toward a solution.

Enjoy PF! :smile:

Likes topsquark and Bystander
pinball1970 said:
Mach's principle is a philosophical rabbit hole!

PeroK said:
Mach's principle is a philosophical rabbit hole!
And not appropriate for high school students, since, I think, no one understands it.

Este hilo de introducción ya está cerrado

Likes topsquark

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. What are the main areas of physics?

The main areas of physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These areas cover a wide range of topics such as motion, forces, electricity and magnetism, heat and energy, and the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

3. How does physics impact our daily lives?

Physics has a significant impact on our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we observe. It has contributed to the development of various inventions and innovations, such as electricity, computers, and medical equipment. It also helps us understand and predict natural events like weather patterns, earthquakes, and the movement of celestial bodies.

4. What is the scientific method in physics?

The scientific method in physics involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments to test the hypothesis, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions. This method allows scientists to systematically investigate and understand the natural world.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include that it is only for geniuses, that it is all about complicated math, and that it is a boring and dry subject. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the concepts of physics, and it is much more than just equations and formulas. Physics is a fascinating and dynamic field that helps us make sense of the world around us.