Evidence for UV finiteness of M-theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of whether M-theory could be UV finite and if there is any evidence or argument to support this idea. The speaker also mentions the failure of string theory in regards to UV finiteness and mentions a paper that explores the use of superspace measure in string theory. The conversation also touches on the scale and coupling of M-theory and how it relates to the concept of UV finiteness.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is there any evidence that M-theory (where M may stand for Matrix, Membrane, or whatever ...) could be UV finite? I am not asking for a proof (because I know there is none), but only for a piece of evidence or an argument which is more than a pure wish.
If you know about such evidence, an appropriate reference would be welcome. :smile:

And please, don't talk me about UV finiteness of string theory. I already know that very well, but string theory is not M-theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

Not even an LQG guy who will use it as an argument for the failure of string/M theory? :wink:

I studied a paper some time ago where the idea was to construct an superspace measure for string theory for 3 and 4 loops (genus) to attack this issue in string theory; afaik beyond 4 loops no results are known (I am perfectly aware of the fact that this is not really an answer to your question regarding M-theory ...)

Hmm. What is the scale and coupling of M-theory?

I mean, string theory has a scale (planck mass) and an adimensional constant (dilaton coupling). If I use the M-theory compactification trick to remove any of them, either I am left without any coupling to renormalize, or I am left without an scale to refer to.

Actually, I would use the size of the 11th dimension to define the Planck mass scale, and then use the extant dimensionless coupling to refer to some parameter in an infinitesimal 12th dimension. But this is my like; I do not know how strings theoreticians play this game.

Related to Evidence for UV finiteness of M-theory?

1. What is M-theory?

M-theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the different versions of superstring theory. It is a candidate for the theory of everything, which aims to explain all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. What is UV finiteness?

UV finiteness, or ultraviolet finiteness, refers to the property of a physical theory that it remains well-behaved at high energies. In other words, the theory does not predict infinite values or divergences when calculations are performed at very small length scales.

3. What is the evidence for UV finiteness of M-theory?

One of the key pieces of evidence for the UV finiteness of M-theory is the fact that it incorporates supersymmetry. Supersymmetry is a mathematical symmetry that relates bosons (particles with integer spin) to fermions (particles with half-integer spin). This symmetry helps to cancel out the infinities that arise in other theories, making M-theory UV finite.

4. How does M-theory address the UV finiteness problem?

M-theory addresses the UV finiteness problem by incorporating extra dimensions. In M-theory, there are 11 dimensions, with the extra dimensions being compactified or curled up at very small length scales. This allows for the cancellation of infinities and ensures that the theory remains well-behaved at high energies.

5. What are the implications of UV finiteness in M-theory?

The implications of UV finiteness in M-theory are significant. It suggests that the theory is a strong candidate for the theory of everything, as it can potentially explain all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe without encountering divergences. Additionally, UV finiteness makes M-theory more mathematically elegant and attractive to scientists.