Evolution of a Boltzman distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the energy of a classical system at a fixed temperature and the Boltzmann distribution. It is mentioned that in the limit of a large number of measurements, the probability of measuring a given energy would reach the Boltzmann distribution. The question is raised whether this distribution would still hold if the energy of a system is measured multiple times at different intervals. It is clarified that this is not related to wavefunction collapse and the way energy is measured is not important. The concept of ensemble average and time average for a random process is also mentioned, with the ergodic theorem stating that they are equivalent for a system at equilibrium.
kelly0303
Hello! Assume I have a classical system at a fixed temperature, such that the energy can be described by a Boltzmann distribution at that temperature. If I have a huge number of such systems in that state, and I measure the energy of each one, independently, the probability of measuring a given energy would reach the Boltzmann distribution (in the limit of a large number of measurements). However, if I measure the energy of a system to be ##E_1## and a time ##t## later I measure the same system, and I repeat that many times, would I still get a Boltzmann distribution. My question here is in the classical case, I am not talking about wavefunction collapse (also the way you measure the energy shouldn't be important either). My question mainly is, are the measurements correlated, such that for a given time interval between measurements, the probability of the second measurement depends on the value of the first one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a point of nomenclature: you are worrying about the difference between an ensemble average and a time average for a random process. For a discreet random process (say a coin toss) the two are equivalent I think . There are clearly many nuances here, which is why I offer you the nomenclature for further study...and bow out..

One of the major assumptions of statistical physics is that for a system at equilibrium, ensemble average = time average. This is often referred to as the ergodic theorem.

1. What is a Boltzmann distribution?

A Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the statistical distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is based on the Boltzmann factor, which takes into account the energy levels and temperature of the system.

2. How does a Boltzmann distribution evolve over time?

A Boltzmann distribution evolves over time as the system reaches thermal equilibrium. This means that the distribution shifts towards higher energy levels as the temperature increases, and towards lower energy levels as the temperature decreases.

3. What factors affect the shape of a Boltzmann distribution?

The shape of a Boltzmann distribution is affected by the temperature of the system, the energy levels of the particles, and the number of particles in the system. Higher temperatures and higher energy levels lead to a wider distribution, while a larger number of particles leads to a narrower distribution.

4. How is the Boltzmann distribution related to entropy?

The Boltzmann distribution is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. As the system reaches thermal equilibrium, the distribution of particles becomes more spread out, leading to an increase in entropy.

5. What applications does the Boltzmann distribution have in science?

The Boltzmann distribution is used in many areas of science, including thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of gases and the properties of materials at different temperatures.