Exact value for every observable in QM?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of observables in quantum theory and how there are states that have an exact and determined value for these observables. However, for observables with a continuous spectrum, such as position, there are no proper eigenvectors and thus no states in which the observable has a determined value. This applies to all values in the continuous part of the spectrum, including momentum and energy.
asimov42
Folks - I'm asking a lot of questions lately (hopefully useful not just for me).

By chance, reading about quantum states, I referenced Wikipedia (dubious I know), and came across the following phrase (with a citation, that I will check): "Even in quantum theory, however, for every observable there are some states that have an exact and determined value for that observable."

If I consider, say, the position operator, then I can certainly see the above being true (e.g., a state that result in a delta function for the position) - but this state cannot be physically realizable, can it? (i.e., they are non-normalizable, correct?).

Physics news on Phys.org
I expect it is talking about observables that have a finite or countable set of measurable values, such as spin (finite) or energy (infinite but countable). The exact states (eigenstates) of those observables are physically realisable, whereas those of observables whose potential values comprise a continuum (such as location) are not.

Likes bhobba
asimov42 said:
Folks - I'm asking a lot of questions lately (hopefully useful not just for me).

By chance, reading about quantum states, I referenced Wikipedia (dubious I know), and came across the following phrase (with a citation, that I will check): "Even in quantum theory, however, for every observable there are some states that have an exact and determined value for that observable."

If I consider, say, the position operator, then I can certainly see the above being true (e.g., a state that result in a delta function for the position) - but this state cannot be physically realizable, can it? (i.e., they are non-normalizable, correct?).
Ironically for the position operator it's not true. Since the corresponding self-adjoint operator has an entirely continuous spectrum, there is no proper eigenvector (in the wave-function language a square-integrable eigenfunction) for any of its spectral values, and thus there is no state for which the position has a determined value.

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
Ironically for the position operator it's not true. Since the corresponding self-adjoint operator has an entirely continuous spectrum, there is no proper eigenvector (in the wave-function language a square-integrable eigenfunction) for any of its spectral values, and thus there is no state for which the position has a determined value.
Position operator is not an exception. When particle is not in a bound state, momentum and energy also have a continuous spectrum.

Likes vanhees71
That's true. The argument holds for all values of an observable in the continuous part of the representing operator's spectrum.

1. What is the concept of "exact value" in quantum mechanics?

Exact value refers to the precise numerical value of a physical observable, such as position, momentum, or energy, that can be measured in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to determine the state of a quantum system at a specific point in time.

2. How is the exact value of an observable determined in quantum mechanics?

The exact value of an observable in quantum mechanics is determined through a mathematical operation called an eigenvalue equation. This equation involves the use of mathematical operators and the wave function of the system to calculate the exact value of the observable at a given time.

3. Are there limitations to determining the exact value of an observable in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to determining the exact value of an observable in quantum mechanics. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact value of a particle's position and momentum simultaneously. Therefore, there will always be a degree of uncertainty in the exact value of an observable.

4. Can the exact value of an observable change over time in quantum mechanics?

In most cases, the exact value of an observable will remain constant over time in quantum mechanics. However, in some cases, such as when a system is in a superposition state, the exact value of an observable may change over time as the system evolves.

5. How is the concept of exact value related to the measurement process in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the measurement process involves the collapse of the wave function, which results in the determination of the exact value of an observable. The act of measurement forces the system to take on a specific value for the observable, and this value is considered the exact value at that moment in time.