Excel Worksheet problems -- Piston and connecting rod connected to a crankshaft

In summary, you found that for a given value of L, the injection period must be at least 1s long, but that the optimum injection can be found by trying different values of r+L and finding the one that results in the shortest injection time.
Franklie001
Homework Statement
Excel worksheet / sine waves
Relevant Equations
Hi everyone i am trying to solve this coursework for university but i am stuck at the last part of the question. Anyone able to help me find the solution for the last part please?
1638475833265.png

1638476012444.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the whole question (including whatever was above the text that you posted)? And can you describe your work so far please?

Oh sorry. Here you are
So basically i had to find in the first question the distance y of the piston from the centre of rotation of the crankshaft. I've done that.
I am stuck at the last part of the question which ask to find the minimum value of L to the nearest 0.5m over the period of 1 second but i have no idea how to find that.
1638476737883.png

1638476946864.png

Franklie001 said:
which ask to find the minimum value of L to the nearest 0.5m over the period of 1 second
No, it asks for the minimum L such that the optimum injection period is at least 1s long.
In part ii you found that period for two cases. Just try different values of L, keeping r+L fixed, to find one where the injection period is at least 1s. Then fine tune that to get the minimum L.

Likes Lnewqban and berkeman
Do i need to use an equation to find the minimum L?

Something like r+L=1s ??

Franklie001 said:
Do i need to use an equation to find the minimum L?

Something like r+L=1s ??
L and r are lengths. They cannot add up to a time!
You are given example values of L and r, and told that r+L must stay fixed. Use that to write the equation for the general case.

Likes Lnewqban
Is that referring at the initial part of the wave when t1=0s and t2=1?

Franklie001 said:
Is that referring at the initial part of the wave when t1=0s and t2=1?
L and r are constants in a given design. They do not change with time.

Sorry it's still not clear to me how should i solve that question.

How do i put in relation r+L and the period ?

Franklie001 said:

You are told that in one particular set up r=0.1m and L=0.3m. You are also told that r+L is the same in all set ups. So what is the general equation relating r and L?

Franklie001 said:

A very small value of r makes the amplitude of the stroke of the piston very small, and its linear velocity very low, for one full rotation of the crankshaft (which takes 4 seconds).

A very big value of r has the geometrical limitation of the piston hitting the crankshaft when in the lowest position.
It also makes the amplitude of the stroke of the piston very big, and its linear velocity very high, for one full rotation of the crankshaft.

For any combination of r and L, the crankshaft still takes 4 seconds to complete one full turn; therefore, the injection of 1 second must match 1/4 of a turn.
That means the ideal injection should happens within 1/8 of turn before and 1/8 turn after r and L get aligned and the piston is at its highest position.

That condition is satisfied only for one linear speed of the piston.

1. How do I calculate the angular velocity of the crankshaft?

The angular velocity of the crankshaft can be calculated by dividing the linear velocity of the piston by the length of the connecting rod and multiplying it by the sine of the angle between the connecting rod and the crankshaft.

2. How do I determine the force exerted on the connecting rod by the piston?

The force exerted on the connecting rod by the piston can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where m is the mass of the piston and a is the acceleration of the piston. This acceleration can be calculated using the kinematic equations and the angular velocity of the crankshaft.

3. What is the purpose of the crankshaft in this system?

The crankshaft is responsible for converting the linear motion of the piston into rotational motion. This rotational motion is then used to power the movement of the vehicle or other machinery.

4. How does the length of the connecting rod affect the movement of the piston?

The length of the connecting rod affects the movement of the piston by determining the stroke length, or the distance that the piston travels in each cycle. A longer connecting rod can result in a longer stroke length, which can increase the power output of the engine.

5. What factors can cause problems with the motion of the piston and connecting rod?

Some factors that can cause problems with the motion of the piston and connecting rod include improper lubrication, misalignment of the components, and wear and tear over time. It is important to regularly maintain and inspect these components to prevent potential issues.