Existence of limit of a function with a parameter

Therefore, in summary, the limit exists for a = 4 and there are no other values of a for which the limit exists.
AwesomeTrains

Homework Statement

For what values of a, from the reals, does the limit exist?
[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow2} (\frac{1}{2-x}-\frac{a}{4-x^{2}})[/itex]

Homework Equations

I chose a so that the denominator would be one. By putting the fractions together.

The Attempt at a Solution

When a = 4 the denominator of the combined fraction can be reduced to one
=> then the limit is -1/4.

(For [itex]a=x+2[/itex] and [itex]a=x^{2}+x-2[/itex] the denominator is 1 too, but at x=2 all three solutions are equal to 4.)

[itex]\textbf{tl;dr}[/itex]
[itex]\textbf{My question: Is 4 the only solution?}[/itex]

In the problem statement a is in plural.
Am I missing any solutions?

Any hints are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
AwesomeTrains said:

Homework Statement

For what values of a, from the reals, does the limit exist?
[itex]lim_{x\rightarrow2} (\frac{1}{2-x}-\frac{a}{4-x^{2}})[/itex]

Homework Equations

I chose a so that the denominator would be one. By putting the fractions together.

The Attempt at a Solution

When a = 4 the denominator of the combined fraction can be reduced to one
=> then the limit is -1/4.

(For [itex]a=x+2[/itex] and [itex]a=x^{2}+x-2[/itex] the denominator is 1 too, but at x=2 all three solutions are equal to 4.)

[itex]\textbf{tl;dr}[/itex]
[itex]\textbf{My question: Is 4 the only solution?}[/itex]

In the problem statement a is in plural.
Am I missing any solutions?

Any hints are much appreciated.

You have the correct answer. To see that there are no other answers, add the two fractions together and see if you can argue that having a finite limit implies a = 4.

Related to Existence of limit of a function with a parameter

1. What is the definition of a limit of a function with a parameter?

A limit of a function with a parameter is the value that a function approaches as the parameter approaches a specific value. It represents the behavior of the function as the parameter changes.

2. How is the existence of a limit of a function with a parameter determined?

The existence of a limit of a function with a parameter can be determined by evaluating the function at different values of the parameter and observing the behavior of the function as the parameter approaches a specific value. If the function approaches a finite value, then the limit exists.

3. Can a function have a limit with a parameter at multiple values?

Yes, a function can have a limit with a parameter at multiple values. This means that as the parameter approaches different values, the function approaches different values. These limits can be equal or different, depending on the behavior of the function.

4. What happens if a function has a limit with a parameter at one value but not at another value?

If a function has a limit with a parameter at one value but not at another value, it means that the function has a discontinuity at that value of the parameter. This could be a removable discontinuity or a non-removable discontinuity, depending on the behavior of the function at that point.

5. How does the existence of a limit of a function with a parameter affect the continuity of the function?

If a function has a limit with a parameter at a specific value, it means that the function is continuous at that point. This is because the function approaches a finite value as the parameter approaches that value, indicating a smooth transition in the behavior of the function.