Expanded form of the stress power

In summary, the problem asks for the expanded form of the stress power, also known as the rate of viscous dissipation, in the case of various states of stress including a general three-dimensional state, a two-dimensional state, a uniaxial state, a state of simple shear, and a spherical state. The stress power is defined as the stress tensor multiplied by the stretching tensor. To solve the problem, one must know the components of the rate of deformation tensor and how to express the components of the stress tensor in terms of the rate of deformation tensor. The textbook "Transport Phenomena" has the necessary information for this problem.
RAP1234

Homework Statement

Write down the expanded form of the stress power SigmaijDij in the
case of a general three dimensional state of stress, a two-dimensional state of
stress, a uniaxial state of stress, a state of simple shear , and a spherical state of stress.

2. Homework Equations [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. I am not entirely understanding what is being asked here ( potentially because we may not have covered this yet. The problem belongs to our chemical engineering heat transfer course. We are on our third lecture)

Here is what I am interpreting from what I looked up in a random solid mechanics book.
Stress power = stress tensor of the object *stretching tensor
I assume that for each given object, we are to write out the stress tensor for different states. I have never dealt with a stretching tensor before. If anyone could offer any insight on how to even start this problem or a good resource to look into I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What they are calling the stress power is also apparently the same thing as the rate of viscous dissipation. Dij is the rate of deformation tensor. Do you what the components of the rate of deformation tensor are, say in cartesian coordinates? Do you know how to express the components of the stress tensor in terms of the rate of deformation tensor? Are you using Transport Phenomena as your textbook? This book has what you need.

Likes RAP1234

What is the expanded form of the stress power?

The expanded form of the stress power is the expression of stress in terms of its components such as force, area, and distance. It can be expressed as Stress = Force/Area, or Stress = Force*Distance/Area*Distance in cases where the force and area are not perpendicular to each other.

Why is the expanded form of the stress power important?

The expanded form of the stress power allows for a more detailed understanding of the factors that contribute to stress in a material. It also helps in the calculation of stress in complex situations where the force and area are not aligned in a simple manner.

How is the expanded form of the stress power used in engineering?

In engineering, the expanded form of the stress power is used to analyze and design structures and materials. It helps engineers understand the behavior of materials under different loading conditions and allows for the prediction of potential failures.

What are the units of the expanded form of the stress power?

The units of the expanded form of the stress power depend on the units of force, area, and distance used in the equation. Common units include Pascals (Pa), Newtons per square meter (N/m2), and pounds per square inch (psi).

Can the expanded form of the stress power be applied to all types of stress?

Yes, the expanded form of the stress power can be applied to all types of stress, including tensile stress, compressive stress, shear stress, and more. It is a fundamental concept in mechanics and is applicable to various fields of engineering and science.