Expanding into Astrophotography: Seeking Recommendations for a £300 Telescope

• Thread starter Digz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, the expert recommends a telescope with a motorized equatorial mount, but without GOTO features, or other automated functions.
Digz
Hiya all.

I stumbled across this site whilst doing some research for a telescope and it looks like a wealth of knowledge here.

Ive posting the astrophotography section as this is an area I want to expand into.

Ive been into astronomy for a few year and my partner got me a celestron 675 telescope a couple of years ago.

I am also a keen amateur photographer and have been doing it for a few years also. I want to expand my photography skills into astrophotography.

So I have a question - can anyone recommend a telescope for around £300 that I can upgrade my Celestron with. I am keen to develop my astrophotography so I would be looking for one with a automated tracking or a GOTO system. I've read about the various type of telescopes around and got myself confused now as to what to go for so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Digz

Astronomy news on Phys.org
With that budget, I would suggest that you look for a telescope with a motorized equatorial mount, but with no GOTO features, or other automated functions. If you want to do astrophotography, your primary concern should be the quality of the optical tube assembly and the sturdiness of the mount. Depending on the weight of the camera (and guidescope assembly), a mount that is OK for a particular OTA may be inadequate when adding the extra gear. The more money you spend on bells and whistles, the cheaper the optics and mount must be to hit your budget. If you want to see what kind of results you can get with amateur equipment (even little 80mm refractors) you may want to visit Our Dark Skies forum. Many of the members are VERY serious about astrophotography and they will gladly explain the advantages and disadvantages of various pieces of gear.

http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/

Here is a thread in which I posted a reprocessed scan of a widefield photograph that I took over 20 years ago by piggybacking my camera on top of my telescope. In this case, the camera and lens did all the work and my main telescope was just used to guide the exposure so the stars didn't trail.

http://forum.ourdarkskies.com/index.php?showtopic=16698&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
ok that's very helpful, much appreciated Turbo. I've just joined to other forum so Ill post a thread for some help there.

Thanks again

What do you mean see through naked eye? Care to expand .ultimate?

Related to Expanding into Astrophotography: Seeking Recommendations for a £300 Telescope

1. How can I effectively say hello and ask for advice?

To effectively say hello and ask for advice, you should start by introducing yourself and explaining why you are seeking advice. Be clear and concise in your message and make sure to express your gratitude for the person's time and expertise. It's also helpful to provide some background information to give context to your situation.

2. When is the best time to ask for advice?

The best time to ask for advice is when you are facing a specific problem or challenge and need guidance. It's important to consider the other person's schedule and make sure they have time to provide you with thoughtful advice. Avoid asking for advice during busy or stressful times for the other person.

3. How do I choose who to ask for advice?

When seeking advice, it's important to choose someone who has knowledge or experience in the area you need help with. This could be a mentor, colleague, or even a friend or family member. Make sure to also choose someone who you trust and feel comfortable sharing your concerns with.

4. What should I do if I don't agree with the advice I am given?

If you don't agree with the advice you are given, it's important to respectfully express your concerns and ask for clarification. Remember that the person giving you advice is doing so based on their own experiences and perspective. You can also seek advice from others to get a different perspective.

5. How can I show my appreciation for someone's advice?

To show your appreciation for someone's advice, you can simply thank them for their time and insight. You can also follow up with them to let them know how their advice helped you and show your gratitude through small gestures such as sending a thank you note or treating them to lunch.