Expectation value of an operator to the power of n

Simplifying will give you the desired result.Hi all"How do I prove that <A^n>=<A>^n? It seems intuitive but how do I rigorously prove it?" The user provides their attempt at a proof, but it is only rigorous enough when the wavefunction is an eigenstate of A with eigenvalue λ. However, a counterexample is given for n=2 to show that the variance is not necessarily zero. The user is advised to use the Binomial Theorem to derive a general expression for <A^n>-<A>^n.
patric44
Homework Statement
prove that : <A^n>=<A>^n
Relevant Equations
<A^n>=<A>^n
hi all
how do I prove that
$$
<A^{n}>=<A>^{n}
$$
It seems intuitive but how do I rigorously prove it, My attempt was like , the LHS can be written as:
$$
\bra{\Psi}\hat{A}.\hat{A}.\hat{A}...\ket{\Psi}=\lambda^{n} \bra{\Psi}\ket{\Psi}=\lambda^{n}\delta_{ii}=\lambda^{n}
$$
and the RHS equal:
$$
<A>^{n}=[\bra{\Psi}A\ket{\Psi}]^{n}=\lambda^{n}[\bra{\Psi}\ket{\Psi}]^{n}=\lambda^{n}[\delta_{ii}]^{n}=\lambda^{n}
$$
Is my proof rigurus enough or there are other formal proof for that

Physics news on Phys.org
A counter example. For ground state of a partricle in a box [-a,a],
<x>=0 but [tex] <x^2> \ \ >\ \ <x>^2=0 [/tex]

Your proof seems to be all right only when ##\Psi## is an eigenstate of A with eigenvalue ##\lambda##.

Last edited:
Likes malawi_glenn
patric44 said:
Homework Statement: prove that : <A^n>=<A>^n
Note that for ##n = 2##, the variance is not necessarily zero:
$$\sigma^2(A) =\langle A^2 \rangle - \langle A \rangle^2 \ne 0$$In general, you can derive an expression for ##\langle A^n \rangle - \langle A \rangle^n## by starting with:
$$\langle[A - \langle A \rangle]^n \rangle$$And expanding using the Binomial Theorem.

Likes PhDeezNutz and malawi_glenn

What is the expectation value of an operator to the power of n?

The expectation value of an operator to the power of n is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that represents the average value of a physical quantity when measured on a large number of identical systems. It is calculated by taking the sum of the possible outcomes of the operator raised to the power of n, multiplied by their respective probabilities.

How is the expectation value of an operator to the power of n calculated?

The expectation value of an operator to the power of n is calculated using the formula:

⟨Aⁿ⟩ = ∑(aᵢⁿ * P(aᵢ))

where A is the operator, n is the power, aᵢ is each possible outcome, and P(aᵢ) is the probability of that outcome.

What is the significance of the expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is significant in quantum mechanics because it represents the most probable outcome of a measurement on a large number of identical systems. It also serves as a way to calculate the average value of a physical quantity, which can be compared to experimental results to test the validity of theoretical models.

Can the expectation value of an operator to the power of n be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of an operator to the power of n can be negative. This indicates that the physical quantity being measured has a negative average value, which is a possible outcome in quantum mechanics. However, the expectation value itself is always a positive number, as it is calculated by taking the absolute value of each possible outcome and multiplying it by its probability.

How does the expectation value change when the operator is raised to a higher power?

As the power of the operator increases, the expectation value also increases. This is because raising the operator to a higher power amplifies the values of the possible outcomes, making the larger values more significant in the calculation. However, the overall trend of the expectation value may vary depending on the specific operator and its eigenvalues.