Expected value of binomial distribution

In summary, the homework statement states that a random variable Y has a binomial distribution with n trials and success probability X, where n is a given constant and X is a uniform(0,1) random variable. E[Y] is the expected value of Y, which is np.
hotvette
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A random variable Y has a binomial distribution with n trials and success probability X, where n is a given constant and X is a uniform(0,1) random variable. What is E[Y]?

Homework Equations

E[Y] = np

The Attempt at a Solution

The key is determining the probability of success, which is stated as X, thus the answer should be nX. But X is a uniform(0,1) random value, which is what I find confusing. My first thought was that X is constant = 1 (because uniform distribution) and therefore E[Y] = nX = n but I don't think that's right (it's like a double headed coin, n flips = n successes). I guess I don't understand how the fact that X is a uniform(0,1) RV enters into the problem. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this one is simple. If ## X ## is random and uniform between ##0 ## and ##1 ##, that would make ## EX=\frac{1}{2} ##. From there, ## EY ## follows immediately. Perhaps a more detailed calculation is necessary, but I'm thinking it isn't. ## \\ ## Edit: It might pay to consider ## EY ## for ## n=1 ##: ## EY_{n=1}= \int\limits_{0}^{1} p(x) x \, dx ##. And note: ## p(x)=1 ## for ## 0<x<1 ##, (with the uniform distribution), so that ## \int p(x) \, dx=1 ##.

Last edited:
hotvette said:
it's like a double headed coin, n flips = n successes
Only if X = 1. But X can also be 0, leading to n flips = n misses ...

[edit] Oh boy, Charle is faster, giving it all away, and thhus robs you from the exercise...

Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure I follow, though. I completely understand that E[X ]= 1/2 by using the definition of expected value of a continuous RV. But what I don't understand is why E[Y] = nE[X] (and therefore n/2). Seems to me E[Y] = np = nX from the problem statement. There is something I'm missing conceptually I think.

hotvette said:
Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure I follow, though. I completely understand that E[X ]= 1/2 by using the definition of expected value of a continuous RV. But what I don't understand is why E[Y] = nE[X] (and therefore n/2). Seems to me E[Y] = np = nX from the problem statement. There is something I'm missing conceptually I think.
That is only the expectancy once you know what ## p ## is going to be given to you, basically by spinning a wheel before the experiment, and where the dial lands tells how much the coin will be biased in the ## n ## trials. ## \\ ## In any case, for the complete expectancy of ## Y ##, they are asking, what can you expect to get on the average?, given we are first going to spin the wheel, and then bias the coin accordingly. ## \\ ## I computed ## EY_{n=1} ## =for a single trial. If ## Y=X_1+X_2+...+X_n ##, then ## EY=n \, EX ##.

OK, I think I understand. Thanks!

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the formula for calculating the expected value of a binomial distribution?

The expected value of a binomial distribution is calculated by multiplying the number of trials by the probability of success in each trial. In mathematical notation, it is expressed as E(X) = np, where n is the number of trials and p is the probability of success.

2. How is the expected value of a binomial distribution interpreted?

The expected value of a binomial distribution represents the average number of successes that can be expected in a given number of trials. It is an important measure of central tendency in probability and statistics.

3. Can the expected value of a binomial distribution be a non-integer value?

Yes, the expected value of a binomial distribution can be a non-integer value, as it is based on a probability calculation. However, in practical applications, the expected value is often rounded to the nearest whole number.

4. How does changing the probability of success affect the expected value of a binomial distribution?

As the probability of success increases, the expected value of a binomial distribution also increases. This is because there is a higher likelihood of success in each trial, leading to a higher average number of successes overall.

5. Is the expected value the same as the most likely outcome in a binomial distribution?

No, the expected value is not necessarily the same as the most likely outcome in a binomial distribution. The expected value is a measure of central tendency, while the most likely outcome is the outcome with the highest probability of occurring in a single trial.