Experimental test of the Mixing Paradox

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and its measurement through experiments. It is mentioned that measuring the entropy change is possible for processes that are approximately reversible, such as the melting of an ice cube. However, for the mixing of different or identical gases, the concept of reversibility becomes more complex. It is suggested that the mixing of identical gases is reversible, while the mixing of different gases is not. The question of whether this has been shown experimentally is posed, with the response that it depends on what is being measured and what is considered reversible. A link is provided for further reading on the topic.
Philip Koeck
TL;DR Summary
Is there an experimental test of the mixing paradox?
Can anybody point to an experiment that shows that the total entropy increases if two different gas mix at constant pressure and temperature, whereas if two volumes of identical gases mix the total entropy doesn't change?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you build an entropy meter?

And without one, how do you say it's "experimental" and not "theoretical"?

That is kind of a problem, isn’t it. I guess entropy is, in that sense, a little like the wavefunction.

Dale said:
That is kind of a problem, isn’t it. I guess entropy is, in that sense, a little like the wavefunction.
Or like potential energy since you can always measure the difference of potential energy but never an absolute value?

Likes Dale
If they are identical, how can you identify that anything has even happened?

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
bob012345 said:
Or like potential energy since you can always measure the difference of potential energy but never an absolute value?
The experiment I'm looking for would only need to show an entropy change, not an absolute value.

In principle I would say you can measure entropy change using a calorimeter for processes that are approximately reversible. For example for the melting of an ice cube at (just above) zero Celsius it should be easy to measure Q and from that calculate the entropy change.
Obviously this is approximate, but acceptable, I would say.

I'm looking for something similar for the mixing of different/identical gases (or liquids).

Chestermiller said:
If they are identical, how can you identify that anything has even happened?
That's exactly how the mixing paradox is resolved in most textbooks (I believe): Identical particles are indistinguishable and therefore you cannot tell that they've mixed. By simply replacing the partition wall you're back to the original state. This means the process of mixing must have been reversible and the entropy change must have been zero.

I'm looking for a more direct confirmation of this conclusion.

Philip Koeck said:
In principle I would say you can measure entropy change using a calorimeter for processes that are approximately reversible.

Is the mixing process of two gases reversible?

Philip Koeck said:
By simply replacing the partition wall you're back to the original state. This means the process of mixing must have been reversible and the entropy change must have been zero.

No, that means that from the thermodynamic point of view there is no process at all. The macro state doesn't change.

Last edited:
DrStupid said:
Is the mixing process of two gases reversible?
No, that means that from the thermodynamic point of view there is no process at all. The macro state doesn't change.
If I understand the textbooks correctly the mixing of identical gases is reversible, whereas the mixing of different gases is not.
I'm simply looking for an experimental test of this statement.

Philip Koeck said:
If I understand the textbooks correctly the mixing of identical gases is reversible

What does "reversible" means in this case? If nothing changes than there is nothing to be reversed.

Likes Philip Koeck
DrStupid said:
What does "reversible" means in this case? If nothing changes than there is nothing to be reversed.
Good point!

The question still stands though:
If there is no process, as in the case of identical gases, then entropy doesn't change.
In the case of two different gases the mixing is an irreversible process and entropy changes.
Has this been shown experimentally?

Philip Koeck said:
If there is no process, as in the case of identical gases, then entropy doesn't change.
In the case of two different gases the mixing is an irreversible process and entropy changes.
Has this been shown experimentally?

I don't know what kind of experiment you are expecting. You can even have both cases with the same experiment at once - depending on what you are able to measure or what you are interested in. If you for example don't care about isotopes then it makes no difference for you if you have two separated volumes of pure 235UF6 and pure 238UF6 or a single volume with a mixture of them. But it makes a huge difference if you care.

PS: There is a parallel thread about the same topic. The link in #2 should explain it.

Last edited:

1. What is the Mixing Paradox?

The Mixing Paradox is a thought experiment that challenges the idea of determinism in physics. It proposes a scenario in which two identical particles are placed in separate boxes and then mixed together, causing confusion about which particle is which. This raises questions about whether particles truly have distinct identities or if they are simply interchangeable.

2. How is the Mixing Paradox tested experimentally?

The Mixing Paradox can be tested experimentally by using two identical particles, such as photons, and placing them in separate boxes. The boxes are then mixed together and the particles are observed to see if their identities can be determined. If the particles can be distinguished, it would suggest that they have distinct identities and determinism holds true.

3. What are the implications of the Mixing Paradox?

The implications of the Mixing Paradox are significant for our understanding of determinism and the nature of particles. If the paradox is proven to be true, it would challenge the idea that particles have distinct identities and raise questions about the concept of causality in physics.

4. Has the Mixing Paradox been proven or disproven?

The Mixing Paradox is still a topic of debate and has not been definitively proven or disproven. Some experiments have suggested that particles may have indistinguishable identities, while others have shown the opposite. Further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand the implications of the paradox.

5. How does the Mixing Paradox relate to other paradoxes in physics?

The Mixing Paradox is related to other paradoxes in physics, such as the Quantum Zeno effect and the EPR paradox. These paradoxes all challenge our understanding of determinism and the nature of particles. They also raise questions about the role of observation and measurement in determining the behavior of particles.