Explaining Gauss' Law and Electric Field Direction on a Charged Square Sheet

In summary, a positively charged sheet is placed on a nonconducting surface. The resultant electric field is through the sheet.
bodensee9
Can someone explain the following?

A positive charge Q is placed on a square sheet of nonconducting material of side x cm in the yz plane. What's the magnitude and direction of the electric field next to the sheet and proximate to the center of the sheet?

I don't understand why the direction of E is into the sheet. If the sheet is positively charged, wouldn't the normal vector be directed outwards?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The material is non-conducting, meaning to say that the charge won't spread out over the surface as it would on a conductor. Since it's placed on the sheet, it stays there and the resultant E field is through it.

EDIT: Why is this titled Gauss law?

Sorry, but if it's a positive charge, wouldn't the field be away from the charge and hence away from the sheet?

You're right. It shouldn't be titled Gauss' law.

Thanks.

The question asked for the E-field next to and proximate to the centre of the sheet. So that doesn't include the point in space which is not in between the charge and the sheet.

Hello:

I'm sorry, but I still don't see. I know that the charge Q remains on the surface and doesn't move. So I would imagine a plate of charge. And a point in front of the plate of charge and near the plate's center. Since the plate is positively charged, wouldn't the field lines be moving out of the plate? And hence the direction of the E field would be out of the plate as well?

Thank you.

Well given that the sheet is non-conducting, I'll take it to mean that the charge can't be pressed into the sheet, so you can't say the sheet is now positively charged. I'll think of it as pressing a marble onto a carpet; you don't expect the marble to end up within the carpet.

Okay. Thanks.

Related to Explaining Gauss' Law and Electric Field Direction on a Charged Square Sheet

1. What is Gauss' Law and how does it relate to magnitude?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface. This law helps us understand and calculate the magnitude of electric fields and their sources.

2. How is electric field magnitude affected by Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law allows us to calculate the electric field magnitude at a point by using the total charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point. The larger the enclosed charge, the stronger the electric field magnitude will be at that point.

3. Can Gauss' Law be applied to all types of electric fields?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to both static and dynamic electric fields. However, it is most commonly used for calculating static electric fields, as it is easier to work with closed surfaces in these cases.

4. What is the mathematical equation for Gauss' Law?

The mathematical equation for Gauss' Law is: ∮S E * dA = Qenc0, where ∮S represents the electric flux through a closed surface S, E is the electric field, dA is the differential area element, Qenc is the net charge enclosed by the surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

5. How is Gauss' Law used in practical applications?

Gauss' Law is used in various practical applications, including calculating the electric field inside a capacitor, determining the electric field of a point charge, and analyzing the electric field around a conductor. It is also used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and devices.