Explaining Time Crystals: Matter, Mass & 4D

In summary, time crystals are a new form of matter that have a repeating pattern in time instead of space. They are made of particles that oscillate in a predictable way, allowing for the creation of precise "atomic" clocks. They have been studied and discussed in various scientific papers, presentations, and articles, including a recent one in Physics World.
Quark Effect
Can someone simply explain to me what are the time crystals? What are they built from (matter, do they have mass)? I cannot find a clear explanation of them. I just know that ordinary crystals are 3d, time crystals - 4d.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quark Effect said:
Can someone simply explain to me what are the time crystals?

I have no idea what "time crystals" are. Please give a reference.

Likes Lord Crc
I saw that title couple days ago. And i started research what they are. I have found a paper in "Nature". That was helpfull. If you find your answer we can disguss. So i can learn anything. That topic is interesting

Likes Quark Effect
@Quark Effect , interesting topic, from what I read I think the idea is that in an ordinary crystal you have a symmetry but it is fixed in time, watching after some time you still see the same symmetry and particles haven't changed their position, in a time crystal that is made of say 2 particles, they both oscillate, the oscillations have a time period much like any oscillation , so let's say you observe the particle being at it's highest point , then it falls down and goes up again, if you measure the time between up and down you can then come back any time in the future and predict where the particle will, be either up or down. you just have to count the intervals.

I guess this might be another way to make a precise "atomic" clock

Likes Quark Effect

1. What are time crystals?

Time crystals are a type of matter that have a repeating pattern in time, similar to how crystals have a repeating pattern in space. They are a new state of matter that was first theorized in 2012 and later experimentally observed in 2016.

2. How are time crystals different from regular crystals?

Regular crystals have a repeating pattern in space, while time crystals have a repeating pattern in time. This means that time crystals have a periodicity in their behavior, where they oscillate between two states in a repeating manner.

3. What is the significance of time crystals?

The discovery of time crystals has opened up new possibilities in the study of quantum physics and the nature of time. They also have potential applications in quantum computing and precision measurements.

4. How are time crystals created?

Time crystals are created by applying a periodic external force to a quantum system. This force causes the system to oscillate between two states, resulting in the formation of a time crystal.

5. Can time crystals exist in our everyday world?

No, time crystals can only exist in very specific conditions, such as at extremely low temperatures and in highly controlled environments. They are not something that can be found in our everyday world.