Explanation for exception in a trend? - Chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses the trend of increasing boiling point in groups 14-16 of the periodic table and the drop in group 16-17. The suggested explanation for this trend is the presence of weaker London dispersion forces in molecules with only two atoms in group 17. However, the conversation also mentions exceptions such as ammonia and water, which have higher boiling points due to the presence of free electron pairs that can participate in interactions.
hamza2095

Homework Statement

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.gyazo.com%2F9a3ee44db866f510e11f7b1dbd712706.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to explain why the boiling point generally increases from groups 14-16 but drops from 16-17, my answer is that every molecule in the the 17th group has only two atoms, meaning there are less protons in the molecule causing a weak london dispersion force. I'm in a relatively low level so I think this answer may do but does anyone have a better explanation or an addition to mine? Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Boiling points increase is observed in all groups, the only exception being molecules from the first period.

Your explanation doesn't touch higher than expected boiling points of ammonia and water.

Hint: ammonia, water and hydrogen fluoride all have sticking out free electron pairs. Do you know any kind of interaction that could utilize them?

Likes CrazyNinja

Related to Explanation for exception in a trend? - Chemistry

1. What is an exception in a trend?

An exception in a trend refers to a deviation or irregularity from the expected pattern in a set of data. In chemistry, this could mean a sudden change in the behavior or properties of a substance that does not follow the predicted trend.

2. What causes exceptions in trends?

There can be several factors that contribute to an exception in a trend. These can include experimental errors, sample contamination, changes in environmental conditions, or the presence of impurities in the substance being studied.

3. How do scientists explain exceptions in trends?

Scientists use a variety of methods to explain exceptions in trends. These can include conducting further experiments, analyzing the data more closely, and considering other factors that may have influenced the results. It is important to thoroughly investigate and understand the cause of an exception in order to accurately explain it.

4. Can exceptions in trends be predicted or prevented?

In some cases, exceptions in trends can be predicted or prevented by carefully controlling experimental conditions and minimizing potential sources of error. However, there may also be instances where exceptions are unexpected and cannot be avoided.

5. How do exceptions in trends impact scientific research?

Exceptions in trends can have a significant impact on scientific research. They may lead to the discovery of new phenomena or properties of a substance, or they may challenge existing theories and lead to further investigation. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and analyze exceptions in trends in order to advance our understanding of the natural world.