Exploring a New Interest in Sciences and Maths

• Thread starter amanamagus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary, the person is asking for suggestions on how to begin studying philosophy, science (particularly physics), and math. They mention having a background in calculus and being interested in quantum computing and computational physics. They do not have specific goals, but are passionate about pursuing these subjects.
amanamagus
Wassup fellas,

I'll take this opportunity to ask the same old worn out question which every noob asks. I absolutely loved sciences and mathematics back when I was in high school till 10th grade. Not saying I was some kinda super genius or something though. :)

Kinda lost way after that. But recently, I've regained the passion for philosophy, science (particularly physics) and maths. Any suggestions regarding how I should beging?

Thanks.

Edit: btw, I'm pursuing a degree in computer sciences.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your math background? If you know basic calculus I think that you can begin from a book like Serway (Mechanics) or Halliday and Resnick.

xmavidis said:
What's your math background? If you know basic calculus I think that you can begin from a book like Serway (Mechanics) or Halliday and Resnick.
Yup I do have a background in calculus. And incidentally, I have that book too. Thanks.

How far do you want to go? What's your goal in this self-study?

eri said:
How far do you want to go? What's your goal in this self-study?
Honestly, I don't have any specific goals. Like I said, its just an interest which I want to pursue quite sincerely. I'll figure it out as I go...

If I have to specify a goal, I think I'd want to develop a broad base which might serve as foundation for quantum computing and computational physics which might be useful in future.

Related to Exploring a New Interest in Sciences and Maths

1. What are some good ways to explore a new interest in sciences and maths?

There are many ways to explore a new interest in sciences and maths. Some suggestions include reading books or articles on the topic, watching educational videos, attending workshops or seminars, joining a club or organization, participating in hands-on experiments or projects, and seeking guidance from a mentor or expert in the field.

2. How can I develop my skills in sciences and maths?

To develop your skills in sciences and maths, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. This could involve solving problems or completing exercises, conducting experiments, or participating in discussions with others who share your interest. Additionally, seeking out challenging and diverse learning opportunities can also help improve your skills.

3. What are the benefits of exploring a new interest in sciences and maths?

Exploring a new interest in sciences and maths can have numerous benefits, including expanding your knowledge and understanding of the world, improving critical thinking and problem-solving skills, building confidence and self-esteem, and potentially opening up new career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, or data analysis.

4. How can I stay motivated when exploring a new interest in sciences and maths?

Staying motivated while exploring a new interest in sciences and maths can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting specific and achievable goals, finding a study partner or joining a study group, taking breaks when needed, and reminding yourself of the reasons why you are interested in the topic can all help keep you motivated.

5. Are there any resources available for exploring a new interest in sciences and maths?

Yes, there are many resources available for exploring a new interest in sciences and maths. These can include books, websites, online courses, educational videos, tutorials, and workshops. Your local library, school, or community center may also have resources or offer programs related to the topic you are interested in.