Exploring Contact Forces: Understanding Collisions and Launching Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of collisions to different scenarios, specifically in cases where objects are initially at rest. The person is looking for information on how to properly research and understand the concept of "contact force" and "explosive forces." They also ask for help in solving a specific problem involving a girl launching a ball and the resulting outcome. The conversation also mentions the concepts of momentum, impulse, and conservation laws.
alba
I have recently studied collisions, in which one or two bodies are already in motion.
I have tried to apply them to cases in which the bodies are initially at rest, like launching or kicking a ball etc, but they do not work.
Can you tell me how to google to find them, 'contact force' gives everything, I tried 'explosive forces' but I get only explosives.
Can you help me?:
suppose a girl (20 kg) on frictionless rollers launches a ball (1kg) doing work 210 J, what is the rule to find the outcome?

I imagine that if she pushes at a wall the outcome is the same of an elastic collision with a wall of a body of 20kg, , if so, she will move backward at v = √210*2/20 = - 4.58 m/s. Is that right?

Is the force on the wall equal to the force that acts on the girl? and what about momentum? the girl's is -91.6 kgm/s the wall's should be the same, but in that case it would mean it subtracted energy to the girl and her speed will be less?
How do I deal with the ball? do you have a link or a formula?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can already 'do' objects in motion then why not just put the initial velocity of one of them to zero? If you are not getting the right answer, it could be that you are not doing the right sum. Have you looked at the Hyperphysics pages on Elastic and Inelastic Collisions? All the relevant equations and ideas are presented there, although you have to learn to drive their system to get the most out of it.

The way to solve specific problems will depend upon what you are given. If the collision can be assumed to be elastic then no energy is 'lost' and you can use conservation of Energy. If not, you can always rely on Momentum being conserved. Newton 3 always applies, of course.
Have you come across the quantity 'Impulse'? That is the Change in Momentum and is given by the Force times the Time it's applied.

1. What are contact forces?

Contact forces are the physical interactions between two objects that are in direct contact with each other. Examples of contact forces include pushing, pulling, friction, and collisions.

2. How do collisions work?

Collisions occur when two objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy. Depending on the type of collision, the objects may bounce off each other, stick together, or deform. The conservation of momentum and energy principles are used to understand how collisions work.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision is affected by several factors, such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved. The type of collision, whether it is elastic or inelastic, also plays a role in determining the outcome.

4. How are contact forces involved in launching objects?

In order to launch an object, a force must be applied to it. This force is usually a contact force, such as pushing, hitting, or throwing. The force applied must be greater than the force of gravity acting on the object in order for it to be launched.

5. Why is understanding contact forces important?

Understanding contact forces is important in many aspects of science and technology. It helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other, and is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. Understanding contact forces also allows us to design and build structures, machines, and devices that are more efficient and safe.