Exploring Dark Matter's Influence on Galaxy Formation

In summary: Galactic Dynamics" by Binney and Tremaine is a good resource.In summary, there are many sources on Galaxy formation, but Arxiv is the best place to start. Google search results are good, but may not be as up to date. There are some professors at the school that could help, and if you can get a good reference from them, that would be even better.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
Arxiv and google searches turn up hundreds of sources on Galaxy formation. I'm specifically looking for good material on how Dark Matter distorts the motions of galaxies from what we'd expect. Currently I've been using a combination of Binney and Tremaine's Galactic Dynamics and whatever resources google gives me, so I'd like suggestions from our local Astro folk, with an emphasis on papers and graduate level books.

Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Perhaps @Drakkith can help here.

Nope. This is beyond my knowledge level. :frown:

Well, shoot. I guess I can't expect this much. Time to go back to fishing on Arxiv I guess. Thanks anyways guys.

It's too bad Marcus passed away a little while back. I'm confident he'd have been able to help you. There's been a big empty void in the Astro/Cosmo forums ever since. :cry:

Likes PhotonSSBM
Those are big shoes for anyone to fill.

Yeah your best bet is to use the arxiv as the material may be too new for any published books.

Do you know any profs at your school that you could talk to? Or any of the researchers in the field? You might be able to ask for a good reference from them. I wouldn't write a big email though only something brief that they could answer quickly. You never know they might respond.

Likes PhotonSSBM
Arxiv is bae.

And yes, my advisor for my research in fact has been playing a big role in Stacy McGaugh's research into galactic dynamics and what it can mean for MOND, or in our opinion just a modified way of looking at how dark matter interacts with baryons. I'm playing a very small role in this though, and it's hard for me to get a hold of him sometimes. I thought in the lull of our conversations maybe I could come here and pick your craniums for some tidbits, but the last day of Arxiv hunting has actually proven fun and productive.

Maybe I'll be cool enough to post my thoughts on these things at a later date.

If any of you are interested in this sort of material, you will probably be interested in my advisor's article on the APS website.

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v9/130

Likes Drakkith
Likes PhotonSSBM

1. What is galaxy formation?

Galaxy formation is the process by which galaxies, the large-scale structures of stars, gas, and dust, are created and evolve over time.

2. How do galaxies form?

Galaxies form through the gravitational collapse of gas and dust clouds, which eventually form stars and other structures within the galaxy. The exact process is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be influenced by dark matter and dark energy.

3. How long does it take for a galaxy to form?

The process of galaxy formation can take billions of years, as it involves the gradual accumulation of matter and the merging of smaller structures to form larger ones.

4. What is the role of supermassive black holes in galaxy formation?

Supermassive black holes are believed to play a significant role in galaxy formation, as they can grow to billions of times the mass of our sun and have a strong influence on the surrounding gas and dust. They may also shape the overall structure and growth of a galaxy.

5. Can we observe the process of galaxy formation?

While we cannot observe the entire process of galaxy formation, we can use advanced telescopes and other technologies to study and observe various stages of galaxy formation, such as the formation of stars and the merging of galaxies.