Exploring Desktop Environments & Window Managers: What's the Difference?

In summary: FulhamFan3In summary, a desktop environment consists of a window manager, file manager, task manager, configuration tools, etc. A window manager just handles how windows are displayed, what type of borders they have and how they react to user input. A desktop environment is more responsive and your not wasting cpu cyles and memory on bloated software. Gnome and KDE are two popular desktop environments. KDE is slower and bloated while Gnome is faster but less bloated. FulhamFan3 has 64 MB of RAM and an Orchid video card.
FulhamFan3
What is the difference between a desktop environment and a windows manager? Why do I need them both?

Computer science news on Phys.org
A desktop environment consists of a window manager, file manager, task manager, configuration tools, etc. A window manager just handles how windows are displayed, what type of borders they have and how they react to user input.

KDE uses the KWin window manager while Gnome uses the Sawfish window manager.

Do you need both a desktop and a window manager: No. For example I only use the window manager called Fluxbox. I don't need a file manager or other gui based configuration tools because I use the command line for that stuff. The advantage of using just a window manager is that the desktop is much more responsive and your not wasting cpu cyles and memory on bloated software.

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

Just to clarify KDE, Gnome, or any other "Linux GUI" you speak of, are not just native to Linux only. It is technically incorrect to classify a GUI as Linux only. Environments such as Gnome and KDE can run on many platforms, including Cygwin in Windows, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.

At the moment I use "Common Desktop Environment," commonly known as "CDE" as my primary environment. It features a file manager and standard apps, and uses very little CPU cycles.

Last edited:
I've been a windows/dos guy my whole life. I'm pretty much trying to find something that mirrors windows 3.1 where the graphical environment is pretty much a visual shell for DOS. I have a computer than ran windows 98 pretty competently(pentium 233). I've tried KDE and that was horribly slow and bloated. People tell me that redhat should work at least as well as Win98 but that's BS. They tell me for my system I can only run the command line but if Win98 runs well then some sort of linux GUI should work at least as well. Any recommendations?

FulhamFan3 said:
I've been a windows/dos guy my whole life. I'm pretty much trying to find something that mirrors windows 3.1 where the graphical environment is pretty much a visual shell for DOS. I have a computer than ran windows 98 pretty competently(pentium 233). I've tried KDE and that was horribly slow and bloated. People tell me that redhat should work at least as well as Win98 but that's BS. They tell me for my system I can only run the command line but if Win98 runs well then some sort of linux GUI should work at least as well. Any recommendations?

Like I said, there is no such thing as a "Linux GUI." Fluxbux, as dduardo has recommended, is pretty usable and features extensive menus. As a very, very lightweight WM, I'd recommend something like FVWM.

How much ram have you got FulhamFan3? What kind of video card? Updating the drivers/latest xserver might help.

64 MB ram on a 233 MHz. Video card is 8 MB orchid fahrenheit. It also has a Diamond Monster 3D add-on but I don't need that. I just want to run something to browse the web and check email without taking forever to open programs.

Related to Exploring Desktop Environments & Window Managers: What's the Difference?

1. What is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager?

A desktop environment is a complete suite of software that provides a graphical interface for a computer's operating system. It includes a window manager, as well as other tools such as a file manager, desktop icons, and a control panel. A window manager, on the other hand, is a standalone program that controls the appearance and placement of windows on the screen. It is responsible for drawing the borders, buttons, and other decorations around windows, and managing their movement and resizing.

2. Can I use a different window manager with my current desktop environment?

Yes, in most cases, you can use a different window manager with your current desktop environment. However, some desktop environments are tightly integrated with their default window manager and may not work properly with a different one. Additionally, some features of the desktop environment may not be available when using a different window manager.

3. How do I switch between different window managers?

The process for switching between window managers varies depending on your operating system and desktop environment. In some cases, you can choose a different window manager from the login screen. In others, you may need to manually edit configuration files or use a command line tool. It is recommended to research the specific steps for your setup before attempting to switch window managers.

4. What are some popular desktop environments and window managers?

Some popular desktop environments include GNOME, KDE, Xfce, and Cinnamon. Popular window managers include Openbox, i3, Awesome, and Fluxbox. Keep in mind that there are many more options available, and the best one for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs.

5. Do desktop environments and window managers affect system performance?

Yes, desktop environments and window managers can have an impact on system performance. Generally, more lightweight options such as Xfce and Openbox will use fewer system resources and may result in better performance on older or slower hardware. However, modern hardware can typically handle most desktop environments and window managers without significant performance differences.