Exploring Gravity with a Torsion Balance: A Weekend Project?

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving an experiment on gravitational force using the setup provided on a website. The person asking the question is wondering if it is feasible to complete this project in a weekend or two. The person responding assures them that it is possible and provides some tips for completing the project successfully. They also mention the use of a camera and possible difficulties with balancing and stabilizing the setup. The asker plans to update with a new thread and videos once the project is completed.
Trevormbarker

Homework Statement

This is not course-work but I was under the impression anything that could be cousework should be posted here.

Pretty much I was wondering if this is a feasible project to take on for a weekend or two activity:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/

I was under the impression that the gravitational force produced by the weights would be much less then the torsional force required to turn the wire, or am I missing something?
Much thanks in advanced for any responses!

Homework Equations

G=[G(m1m2)]/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

not applicable

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that is one neat experiment! Definitely worth a weekend or two.
Yes, it should work. When first done it required spheres of solid gold, but the monofilament fishing line, the time lapse camera and no need to measure the force makes easy enough for an amateur weekend project.
I expect it will require considerable patience to get the suspended arm to balance well, the fishing line to stabilize and to stop the air currents in the room. Cameras can be trying, too. Have fun and report back!

well me and a friend from school have just started it so il get back with a new thread and hopefully some working videos! (once it is done in a few weeks of course)

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Gravity with a Torsion Balance: A Weekend Project?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on that object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight may vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How do scientists study gravity?

Scientists study gravity through various experiments and observations. They also use mathematical equations, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, to calculate and predict the effects of gravity on objects.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists continue to study and explore the possibilities of harnessing this force for future space travel and exploration.