Exploring Level Surfaces of a Multivariable Function

• Thread starter M.Qayyum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary: Thanks for your help,that's what i was looking for...In summary, the problem statement is to describe the level surfaces of a given function.
M.Qayyum

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f(x,y,z,)=(x-2)2+y2+z2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi M.Qayyum! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I assume you want the surfaces with f(x,y,z) = constant?

Hint: that looks pretty much like a sphere, doesn't it? :wink:

First of all thanks for welcome...
and thanks for your time...But i want to know, how to solve these questions, please explain little more.
(New to Calculus-Sorry for my Bad English)

M.Qayyum said:
First of all thanks for welcome...
and thanks for your time...But i want to know, how to solve these questions, please explain little more.
(New to Calculus-Sorry for my Bad English)

What is the problem statement? You can't be just given an equation and asked to solve it. Your question is too ambiguous.

In order to solve a problem, you have to have a problem! So far, you just have function! What is the problem? If it is "describe the level surfaces" of a given function, set the function equal to a constant and try to determine what the graph of that equation looks like.

f(x,y,z)= c is one equation in three variables, x, y, and z. Given values for two of those, you could (theoretically) solve for the third. So the figure is a two dimensional figure- a surface. The term "level surface" comes from the lower dimensional case: the graph of z= f(x,y) is itself a surface. If we look at f(x,y)= c, we get a one-dimensional graph, the "level curve" since every point is at the "z= c" level of the original graph.

HallsofIvy said:
In order to solve a problem, you have to have a problem! So far, you just have function! What is the problem? If it is "describe the level surfaces" of a given function, set the function equal to a constant and try to determine what the graph of that equation looks like.

f(x,y,z)= c is one equation in three variables, x, y, and z. Given values for two of those, you could (theoretically) solve for the third. So the figure is a two dimensional figure- a surface. The term "level surface" comes from the lower dimensional case: the graph of z= f(x,y) is itself a surface. If we look at f(x,y)= c, we get a one-dimensional graph, the "level curve" since every point is at the "z= c" level of the original graph.

Thanks for your help,that's what i was looking for...
(New to Calculus-Sorry For my Bad English)

Your English is very good- in fact, excellent compared to my (put pretty much any language here)!

it's 7 A.M in Pakistan...(Sorry for my Timing as well...ha ha ha)

Related to Exploring Level Surfaces of a Multivariable Function

1. What exactly are level surfaces?

Level surfaces are imaginary surfaces that represent a constant value of a physical quantity. They can be thought of as a 3-dimensional graph, with the x and y axes representing two independent variables and the z axis representing the dependent variable.

2. Why are level surfaces important in science?

Level surfaces are important because they allow us to visualize and understand complex physical phenomena. They help us to identify patterns, relationships, and trends in data and make predictions about future behavior.

3. Can level surfaces be applied to all fields of science?

Yes, level surfaces can be applied to all fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and geology. Any physical quantity that can be represented by a mathematical function can be visualized using level surfaces.

4. How are level surfaces different from contour lines?

Level surfaces and contour lines are similar in that they both represent a constant value of a physical quantity. However, contour lines are typically used in two dimensions, while level surfaces are used in three dimensions. Additionally, contour lines are usually used for topographical maps, while level surfaces can represent a wide range of physical quantities.

5. How can level surfaces be calculated or determined?

Level surfaces can be calculated or determined by solving the mathematical equation that represents the physical quantity of interest. This can be done using various methods, such as algebraic manipulation, numerical methods, or computer simulations.