Exploring Limits at (0,0) for xy/sin(x+y)

In summary: This would be wrong because the limit doesn't exist. Given the symmetry between x and y, any line can be represented by y=ax. The function is ax2/sin(x(1+a)). If a is not -1 then this clearly tends to 0 as x tends to 0.
Kaura

Homework Statement

limit (x -> 0 y -> 0) of xy/sin(x+y)

Homework Equations

None that come to mind but maybe Lopital's Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit does not exist but I am having trouble figuring out how to show that it does not

using the line x=y gives x^2/sin(2x)
using the line -x=y gives -x^2/sin(0)

I am not sure what to do from here or if I am just completely missing what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaura said:
using the line x=y gives x^2/sin(2x)
What limit do you get, approaching the origin along that line?

Now, can you think of a different line along which to approach the origin that gives you a different limit. If you can, you will have proven that the general limit does not exist - because if it did, the limits for all different lines of approach would be the same.

L'Hopital's rule will be useful in finding the limit for both lines.

andrewkirk said:
What limit do you get, approaching the origin along that line?

Now, can you think of a different line along which to approach the origin that gives you a different limit. If you can, you will have proven that the general limit does not exist - because if it did, the limits for all different lines of approach would be the same.

L'Hopital's rule will be useful in finding the limit for both lines.

The limit for x^2/sin(2x) is 0
I cannot think of another line at the moment though

Kaura said:
The limit for x^2/sin(2x) is 0
I cannot think of another line at the moment though
What are the simplest lines you might try?

For -x=y it gives -x^2/sin(0) which is undefined I think is there another line that is better though?

Those are both sloping lines. Try a non-sloping line.

Kaura said:
figuring out how to show that it does not

Kaura said:
using the line -x=y gives -x^2/sin(0)
Job done?

haruspex said:
Job done?
Not if one follows the convention that, where the domain of a function is not explicitly stated, it is assumed to be the set of points on which the given formula has a well-defined value. In that case the whole line -x=y is excluded from the domain.

andrewkirk said:
Not if one follows the convention that, where the domain of a function is not explicitly stated, it is assumed to be the set of points on which the given formula has a well-defined value. In that case the whole line -x=y is excluded from the domain.
Ok, but it still provides the basis for the proof of nonconvergence. Sloping straight lines won't do it. We need a curve which is asymptotically y=-x at (0,0).

Sloping straight lines won't do it but, if my calcs are correct, a non-sloping line will, given the observation the OP has already made about the limit along the line y=x.

andrewkirk said:
Sloping straight lines won't do it but, if my calcs are correct, a non-sloping line will, given the observation the OP has already made about the limit along the line y=x.
Given the symmetry between x and y, any line can be represented by y=ax. The function is ax2/sin(x(1+a)). If a is not -1 then this clearly tends to 0 as x tends to 0.

@haruspex: My mistake. You're right. Somehow I'd got it into my head that the numerator was x+y rather than xy.

1. What is the limit of xy/sin(x+y) as x and y approach 0?

The limit of xy/sin(x+y) as x and y approach 0 is 0. This can be found by using the squeeze theorem or by converting the function to polar coordinates and taking the limit as r approaches 0.

2. Can the limit of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) be solved using L'Hopital's rule?

No, L'Hopital's rule cannot be used to solve the limit of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) because the function is not in an indeterminate form.

3. What is the significance of the limit of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) in calculus?

The limit of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) is a commonly used example in calculus to demonstrate the application of the squeeze theorem and polar coordinates in finding limits of functions. It also shows the importance of understanding the behavior of a function at critical points.

4. How does the graph of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) compare to its limit?

The graph of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) has a hole at (0,0) and approaches 0 as x and y approach 0. This is consistent with its limit, which is also 0.

5. Can the limit of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the limit of xy/sin(x+y) at (0,0) can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it can be extended to any number of variables as long as the function remains continuous and the limit approaches 0 as all the variables approach 0.