Exploring Magnetic Flux Tubes: Current, Composition, and Buoyancy

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of a current in a magnetic flux tube and the difference in pressure inside and outside the tube. The question arises if there is any difference between ordinary Type I flux tubes and quantum Type II flux tubes. The discussion also mentions the term "Birkeland current" as a possible answer to the question about the current in the tube.
ImaLooser
Does a magnetic flux tube always have a current flowing in it?

Where is the current? Electrons on the surface and protons inside?

Why are flux tubes magnetically buoyant? That is, why is there a difference in pressure inside and outside the tube.

As far as these questions go, is there any difference between ordinary Type I flux tubes and quantum Type II flux tubes?

Physics news on Phys.org
ImaLooser said:

Why are flux tubes magnetically buoyant? That is, why is there a difference in pressure inside and outside the tube.

As far as these questions go, is there any difference between ordinary Type I flux tubes and quantum Type II flux tubes?

No replies. Now what do I do? The last time I reposted in another group I was penalized.

ImaLooser said:

I found it. It is called Birkeland current.

Related to Exploring Magnetic Flux Tubes: Current, Composition, and Buoyancy

1. What are magnetic flux tubes?

Magnetic flux tubes are narrow, cylindrical structures of magnetic field lines that extend from the surface of the sun into its atmosphere. They are typically a few hundred kilometers in diameter and can span thousands of kilometers in length.

2. How are magnetic flux tubes formed?

Magnetic flux tubes are formed by the interaction of the sun's magnetic field with its plasma. Plasma is a state of matter in which atoms are ionized, meaning they have lost some or all of their electrons. The sun's plasma is highly conductive, allowing the magnetic field lines to become concentrated and form tubes.

3. What is the role of current in magnetic flux tubes?

Current is an important component of magnetic flux tubes as it helps to maintain their shape and structure. As the plasma inside the tubes moves, it generates electric currents, which in turn create magnetic fields that reinforce the original magnetic field lines.

4. What is the composition of magnetic flux tubes?

The composition of magnetic flux tubes is primarily plasma, which is made up of protons and electrons. However, there may also be small amounts of heavier elements, such as helium and iron, that have been ionized and become part of the plasma.

5. How does buoyancy affect magnetic flux tubes?

Buoyancy, or the upward force on an object in a fluid, plays a significant role in the dynamics of magnetic flux tubes. As the plasma inside the tubes becomes hotter and more buoyant, the tubes can rise to the surface of the sun. This can lead to the formation of sunspots and other solar activity.