Exploring Matter at Zero Kelvin: Can it Exist as a Gas?

In summary, at zero absolute temperature, all gases would condense to some other phase. This phase does not have to be a solid.
Sunfire
Hello All,

Can matter exist in a gaseous form at zero K? I am asking because common gasses (e.g. air) would liquify at cryogenic temperatures...

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just guessing: If the density was low enough and there was no force (like gravity) to make the molecules come together.

Sunfire said:
Hello All,

Can matter exist in a gaseous form at zero K? I am asking because common gasses (e.g. air) would liquify at cryogenic temperatures...

Many thanks
I don't think the phase of a system can be determined in the limit of zero pressure and zero absolute temperature.
I suspect that all materials would be gaseous in the limit of finite temperature, zero pressure and infinite time. If the atoms of a material are spaced far enough from other materials, the forces that hold them together would be effectively zero. So if there was absolutely nothing else in the universe except a solid piece of iron with finite mass, and if the absolute temperature was more than zero, then I think that that piece of iron would eventually sublimate into an iron gas. This is a zero pressure system which never reaches equilibrium. Real systems have a finite pressure and eventually reach thermal equilibrium.
Given a finite pressure, I think that all gases would condense to some other phase at zero absolute temperature. I say that because of the third law of thermodynamics (weak form). The third law of thermodynamics says that the specific heat of a material approaches zero in the limit of absolute temperature approaching zero.
Ideal gases have a finite specific heat proportional to the universal gas constant. This contradicts the third law of thermodynamics. Therefore, gases at finite pressure have to equilibrate at zero absolute temperature to some other phase.
Note that this phase does not have to be a solid. Helium at q atmosphere condenses to a superfluid at temperatures below 4 °K. Other materials equilibrate to Bose-Einstein condensates at millidegree absolute temperatures. However, these materials are not considered true gases. At least these states are very far from ideal gases.
There are some other discussion threads around here that involve the third law of thermodynamics. You may be interested in some of those threads.
Also note that near absolute zero temperature, the quantum nature of materials starts to become important. At millikelvin temperatures, atoms start to behave more like waves than particles. At very low temperatures, the wavelength of an atom can be bigger than the distance to other atoms. So materials act real weird at microKelvin temperatures. There are some very strange phases that are outside the paradigm of gas, liquid and solid.
If one are interested in very cold temperatures, then one should know a little about quantum mechanics and the third law of thermodynamics. I think that you may find the third law of thermodynamics particularly interesting.

I agree, the 0K is more of an asymptotic limit, rather than a temperature of a real material. Isn't there a principle of 0K being unreachable?

Than at least for the purposes of my current study, I need to look at the behavior of an (ideal) gas when T-->0. I need this expression for say c_p = f(T) @ T -->0

for your question. At zero Kelvin, also known as absolute zero, the atoms and molecules of matter would theoretically have no kinetic energy, meaning they would not be moving at all. This would make it impossible for matter to exist in a gaseous form, as gases are characterized by the movement and collisions of their particles. At absolute zero, all matter would be in a solid state, as the particles would not have enough energy to overcome the attractive forces between them and form a liquid or gas.

However, achieving a temperature of absolute zero is practically impossible. In fact, the lowest recorded temperature in a laboratory setting is 0.0000000001 Kelvin, which is still not absolute zero. This is due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Therefore, even at extremely low temperatures, there will always be some residual movement and energy present in matter.

In summary, while it is not possible for matter to exist as a gas at absolute zero, it is still a widely studied and interesting concept in the field of physics. Many experiments have been conducted to approach absolute zero, but it remains an elusive and theoretical temperature.

1. What is Zero Kelvin?

Zero Kelvin, also known as absolute zero, is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached in the known universe. It is equivalent to -273.15 degrees Celsius or -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, all molecular motion ceases and matter is in its lowest possible energy state.

2. Can matter exist at Zero Kelvin?

At Zero Kelvin, matter is in its lowest energy state and all molecular motion has ceased. This means that it is not possible for matter to exist in its usual form, such as a solid, liquid, or gas. However, some scientists believe that certain forms of matter, such as Bose-Einstein condensates, may exist at Zero Kelvin.

3. Is it possible to reach Zero Kelvin?

As of now, it is not possible for us to reach Zero Kelvin. It is the theoretical limit of temperature and would require an infinite amount of energy to reach. However, scientists have been able to reach temperatures very close to Zero Kelvin in laboratory settings.

4. How does matter behave at Zero Kelvin?

At Zero Kelvin, matter is in its lowest energy state and all molecular motion has ceased. This means that matter would be in a condensed and dense state, with very little movement. It is also believed that all matter would become superfluid, meaning it would have no viscosity and would flow without resistance.

5. What is the significance of studying matter at Zero Kelvin?

Studying matter at Zero Kelvin allows scientists to better understand the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of particles at extremely low temperatures. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of superconductors and in studying the behavior of matter in extreme environments, such as in outer space.