Exploring Non-SHM Systems with Energy Equations

In summary, the mass will have a period of 1000000000000 seconds if it has total energy of 2.0e+19 Joules.
Physicist_FTW
1. U(x)=U0(x/a)^1000000
Find the period for a mass m, if it has total energy E

2. E=U+K

3. dE/dt=0=v[mdv/dt+dU/dx]

I am really stuck on this one, I am not sure what to do at all talked to my proffessor he says just to re-read the chapter but if I am honest I've always been one to learn through examples which he hasnt given us, any clues would be most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicist_FTW said:
1. U(x)=U0(x/a)^1000000
Find the period for a mass m, if it has total energy E

2. E=U+K

3. dE/dt=0=v[mdv/dt+dU/dx]

I am really stuck on this one, I am not sure what to do at all talked to my proffessor he says just to re-read the chapter but if I am honest I've always been one to learn through examples which he hasnt given us, any clues would be most appreciated!

Is this a spring and mass problem, or a pendulum problem or what? Please post more details and the relevant equations in more detail, and show us how you have tried to start the solution...

its a SHM probelm, well i tried
-dU/dx=F(x)
F(x)=m(d^2x/dt^2)
then i think I am meant to guess a value for x(t) but I am not really sure/

Physicist_FTW said:
its a SHM probelm, well i tried
-dU/dx=F(x)
F(x)=m(d^2x/dt^2)
then i think I am meant to guess a value for x(t) but I am not really sure/

First I suggest that you express the potential energy as:

[tex]U(x)=\frac{U_0}{a^{k+1}}x^{k+1}[/tex] where in our case [tex]k+1=1000000[/tex]

Use the following theorem:

[tex]F(x)=-U'(x)[/tex]

And from there all that remains is to solve a tricky differential equation. I'm trying it myself, it looks interesting.

If E=U+K
E=((U0x^K+1)/a^k+1)+0.5(m)(dx/dt)^2
rearrange
dx/dt=(2/m(E-U0x^K+1)/a^k+1))^0.5
is this the right way about, I am not sure how to do this integral.

This system doesn't look to be SHM.

Related to Exploring Non-SHM Systems with Energy Equations

1. What is an oscillation from potential?

An oscillation from potential is a repetitive back-and-forth motion of a system, caused by the presence of a potential energy function. This potential energy function can be thought of as a hill or valley that the system must constantly move over, resulting in a periodic oscillation.

2. What are some examples of oscillations from potential?

Some examples of oscillations from potential include the swinging of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a spring. These systems all have a potential energy function that causes them to oscillate.

3. How does energy play a role in oscillations from potential?

In oscillations from potential, energy is constantly being converted between potential energy and kinetic energy. As the system moves towards the equilibrium point, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. As it moves away from the equilibrium point, it gains potential energy and loses kinetic energy. This back-and-forth conversion of energy allows for the oscillation to continue.

4. Can oscillations from potential be damped or undamped?

Yes, oscillations from potential can be either damped or undamped. Damped oscillations occur when there is a dissipative force, such as friction, that causes the oscillations to decrease in amplitude over time. Undamped oscillations occur when there is no dissipative force, and the oscillations continue with the same amplitude indefinitely.

5. How can oscillations from potential be analyzed mathematically?

Oscillations from potential can be analyzed using differential equations. These equations describe the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of the system. By solving these equations, we can determine the amplitude, frequency, and period of the oscillation, as well as the total energy of the system.