Exploring Structure Formation with Cosmological Simulations

In summary, the goal of a cosmological simulation is to help scientists verify the accuracy of their models, and to help them make predictions about the properties of dark matter.
Silviu
Hello! i am an undergraduate and I started working with a professor doing numerical simulation of cold dark matter. I understand (more or less) the physics behind and the results are very close to observations, which is a good support for the existence of dark matter. However, I can't see the real purpose of cosmological simulations in general (as I am thinking whether should I do this for graduate school or not). Like, yes they reproduce large scale structure and important properties (velocity curve, Tully-Fisher relation, etc.), but other than reproducing observations, what can you actually do. The thing is that a "particle" of dark matter has several millions of solar masses (due to computation limitation) so you definitely can't make predictions about the type of particle we should look for (like mass, whether or not they interact weakly, etc.), for example. So what is the real goal of a physicist doing cosmological simulations? Thank you!

Space news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
However, I can't see the real purpose of cosmological simulations in general (as I am thinking whether should I do this for graduate school or not). Like, yes they reproduce large scale structure and important properties (velocity curve, Tully-Fisher relation, etc.), but other than reproducing observations, what can you actually do. The thing is that a "particle" of dark matter has several millions of solar masses (due to computation limitation) so you definitely can't make predictions about the type of particle we should look for (like mass, whether or not they interact weakly, etc.), for example. So what is the real goal of a physicist doing cosmological simulations?

I'm not a cosmologist, but I would think that these simulations allow scientists to verify that certain models and theories are accurate. And this is a very important part of science. We have to be able to make suitable, accurate models in order to verify that the rules of the underlying theory are correct. If you make a simulation that reproduces results compatible with our observations then that tells you something very different than if your results are wildly different from observations.

Also, I'm not sure I agree that you can't make predictions about the different properties of dark matter. Surely your simulation has some kind of parameter for your dark matter particles that relates, in some way, to the real universe, doesn't it?

Drakkith said:
I'm not a cosmologist, but I would think that these simulations allow scientists to verify that certain models and theories are accurate. And this is a very important part of science. We have to be able to make suitable, accurate models in order to verify that the rules of the underlying theory are correct. If you make a simulation that reproduces results compatible with our observations then that tells you something very different than if your results are wildly different from observations.

Also, I'm not sure I agree that you can't make predictions about the different properties of dark matter. Surely your simulation has some kind of parameter for your dark matter particles that relates, in some way, to the real universe, doesn't it?
My point was, you simulate large scale so you can get properties at that level. And the model is more or less fixed for few tens of years, lately the simulation just increased the accuracy due to the computer powers but I am not sure what prediction can one make using simulations at this level of accuracy.

Silviu said:
Hello! i am an undergraduate and I started working with a professor doing numerical simulation of cold dark matter. I understand (more or less) the physics behind and the results are very close to observations, which is a good support for the existence of dark matter. However, I can't see the real purpose of cosmological simulations in general (as I am thinking whether should I do this for graduate school or not). Like, yes they reproduce large scale structure and important properties (velocity curve, Tully-Fisher relation, etc.), but other than reproducing observations, what can you actually do. The thing is that a "particle" of dark matter has several millions of solar masses (due to computation limitation) so you definitely can't make predictions about the type of particle we should look for (like mass, whether or not they interact weakly, etc.), for example. So what is the real goal of a physicist doing cosmological simulations? Thank you!
I've seen these sorts of simulations used most frequently in terms of understanding structure formation. The precise details of how compact structures like galaxies and galaxy clusters form can only be tackled with simulations.

This sort of thing can potentially be useful in terms of using counts of galaxies with certain properties as a means to rule out certain models. For example, if a simulation predicts almost no large galaxies beyond, say, a redshift of ten, but we observe thousands of them, then that means that simulation has a flaw. Ideally, if the simulation is done well, the discrepancy can be tied to a different physical model of the universe.

Likes Drakkith

1. What are cosmological simulations?

Cosmological simulations are computer simulations that model the evolution of the universe starting from the Big Bang. They use mathematical equations and physical laws to simulate the formation and evolution of galaxies, clusters of galaxies, and large-scale structures in the universe.

2. What is the purpose of cosmological simulations?

The main purpose of cosmological simulations is to test and refine our understanding of the universe and its evolution. They allow us to study the effects of different physical processes and parameters on the formation and evolution of structures in the universe. Cosmological simulations also help us make predictions and compare them with observations, which can help us better understand the universe.

3. How are cosmological simulations created?

Cosmological simulations are created by using supercomputers to solve a set of complex mathematical equations that describe the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. These equations take into account various physical processes such as gravity, gas dynamics, and radiation, and are often based on the principles of cosmology and particle physics.

4. What are the limitations of cosmological simulations?

While cosmological simulations are powerful tools for studying the universe, they also have limitations. One major limitation is the computational power needed to simulate the entire universe, which is currently beyond our capabilities. As a result, simulations often have to make simplifications and approximations, which can affect the accuracy of their results. Additionally, there are still many unknowns about the universe that cannot be fully captured in simulations, such as dark matter and energy.

5. How are the results of cosmological simulations validated?

The results of cosmological simulations are validated by comparing them with observations from telescopes and other astronomical instruments. If the simulated structures and processes match what we observe in the universe, it provides evidence that our understanding of the universe is on the right track. Additionally, simulations are often compared with each other using different parameters and assumptions to see how sensitive the results are to these factors.