Exploring the 3-D Rotation Matrix with Euler Rotations and Net Angle of Rotation

In summary, The question discusses the concept of an orthogonal matrix describing a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is noted that this matrix can be represented using Euler rotations, but it is unclear if this is the only option or if there is a general 3D rotation matrix. The conversation then goes on to explore the properties of such a matrix, including the sum of the eigenvalues and the characteristic equation. It is established that there are three complex eigenvalues, with one being equal to 1 and the other two being equal to $e^{i\phi}$ and $e^{-i\phi}$.
ognik
The question mentions an orthogonal matrix describing a rotation in 3D ... where $\phi$ is the net angle of rotation about a fixed single axis. I know of the 3 Euler rotations, is this one of them, arbitrary, or is there a general 3-D rotation matrix in one angle?

If I build one, I would start with the direction cosines $ \begin{bmatrix}cos(x', x)&cos(y', x)&cos(z', x)\\cos(x', y)&cos(y', y)...\\...\end{bmatrix}$

Lets say we rotate a total of $\phi$, I think this means $\phi = \phi_x + \phi_y + \phi_z$? But around the z axis only (for example), $\phi = \phi_z$?

So I'm not sure how to apply this to the matrix above, is everything except w.r.t. z = $\delta_{ij}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would appreciate corrections/confirmations to the above please - and if I put something confusingly I'll be happy to improve it, if I know what it is :-)

I'm now sure the question could use any of the 3 Eular (orthogonal) rotation matrices, the diagonals of each have 2 $Cos \phi$ terms and a 1. i.e. the sum of the 3 eigenvalues is $2Cos \phi + 1$

The question now is - given 1 eigenvalue = 1, show the other 2 = $e^{\pm i\phi}$

Choosing the rotation about the z axis, $R_z = \begin{bmatrix}Cos&-Sin&0\\Sin&Cos&0\\0&0&1\end{bmatrix}$

My Characteristic eqtn is $ (1-\lambda)(Cos^2\phi -2\lambda Cos\phi + Sin^2 \phi) $ = $ (1-\lambda)(1-2\lambda Cos\phi) $

The simplest (to me anyway) roots are $\lambda = 1$ (as expected) and $ \lambda = \frac{1}{2 Cos\phi}$ (But 2 complex roots expected?)

Now I could say that $ Cos\phi =Re\left\{ \frac{e^{i \phi}+e^{-i \phi}} {2} \right\} $ and dredge $\lambda = e^{\pm i\phi}$ out of this - but the question states that these 2 should be complex eigenvalues and I have to take the real parts to make this work?

Just revisiting this and noticed a silly mistake, off course $ Cos \phi = \frac{1}{2} \left( e^{i \phi} + e^{-i \phi} \right)$. Also my characteristic eqtn was wrong (Doh) ,

$ (1-\lambda)(Cos^2\phi -2\lambda Cos\phi + \lambda^2 + Sin^2 \phi) $ = $ (1 -\lambda)(\lambda^2-2\lambda Cos\phi +1) $ ... which indeed provides 2 complex roots - $e^{i \phi}, e^{-i \phi} $ - in addition to $\lambda = 1$

Last edited:

What is a 3-D rotation matrix?

A 3-D rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the orientation and rotation of an object in three-dimensional space. It is a square matrix that contains nine elements and is used to perform rotations around the x, y, and z axes.

What are the benefits of using a 3-D rotation matrix?

One major benefit of using a 3-D rotation matrix is that it allows for precise and accurate rotations in three-dimensional space. It also simplifies complex rotations into a single matrix calculation, making it easier to perform multiple rotations on an object.

How do you construct a 3-D rotation matrix?

A 3-D rotation matrix is constructed using a combination of trigonometric functions and basic matrix operations. The elements of the matrix are determined based on the angle of rotation and the axis around which the rotation is performed.

How do you use a 3-D rotation matrix to rotate an object?

To rotate an object using a 3-D rotation matrix, the matrix is multiplied by the coordinates of the object's points. This results in a new set of coordinates that represent the rotated object. The new coordinates can then be used to redraw the object in its new orientation.

What are some common applications of 3-D rotation matrices?

3-D rotation matrices have a wide range of applications in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, robotics, and physics. They are commonly used in 3-D animation, video games, and virtual reality to rotate and animate objects. They are also used in navigation systems for tracking the orientation of objects or vehicles in 3-D space.