Exploring the Constant Speed of Light in a Thought Experiment

In summary: He sails his boat at 6 m/p/s into the waves and observes that the waves pass him by at twice the speed, resulting in a wavelength of 3 meters per half second and a frequency of 2 per second.
Gaz
Hi I want to create a thought experiment involving waves of any kind. I am going to create a thought experiment I am on a boat that is at rest in the ocean. I am standing on the boat measuring the size of the waves and the frequency. So I measure the wave along the side of my boat to have a length of 6 meters and a frequency of 1 per second. So i deduce the wave is traveling at 6 m/p/s (6 meters per second).

Now I sail my boat at 6 m/p/s into the waves what is the outcome ?

My Hypothesis is I would see the waves passing me by at twice the speed so the wavelength is 3 m/p/ half s (3 meters per half second) and as the wavelength half's the frequency doubles to 2 per second.
So I conclude when you measure a wave you cannot add your speed to the wave as your motion has to be added or deducted from the wavelength which will effect the frequency and that is why the speed of light is constant to all observers. Any speed added by your motion is simply deducted from the wavelength and added to frequency. So the speed of light remains the same regardless of your motion. And it is not time that changes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gaz said:
as the wavelength halves
Why would the wavelenght be different ? Would the wavelength double if you go in the opposite direction ?

First, what you are describing is called the classical (non-relativistic) Doppler effect. If you read about it, in any standard physics textbook, you will see where you are missing the point.
Second, you made a big leap when you concluded that the speed of light is the same for all observers, by the strength of your argument, which is based on material (water) waves. The speed of water waves is not the same for all observers. You should know that there is no explanation for the speed of light being the same for all (inertial) observers. It is an axiom, the truth of which is borne out by the success of experiments.

Likes davenn
Gaz said:
My Hypothesis is I would see the waves passing me by at twice the speed so the wavelength is 3 m/p/ half s (3 meters per half second) and as the wavelength half's the frequency doubles to 2 per second.

so as the other two have suggested, the wavelength isn't changing, and for you nor is time
so that leaves one choice for what is changing ... can you think what that is and why ?
You have answered it without realising :wink:
Dave

What is the constant speed of light?

The constant speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation travels in a vacuum. It is denoted by the letter "c" and has a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

Why is the speed of light considered constant?

The speed of light is considered constant because it does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving or in which direction, the speed of light will always appear to be the same.

How is the speed of light explored in a thought experiment?

In a thought experiment, the speed of light can be explored by imagining a hypothetical scenario and using logical reasoning and mathematical equations to understand the consequences of the constant speed of light. This allows scientists to better understand the nature of light and its behavior.

What is the significance of exploring the constant speed of light?

Exploring the constant speed of light is significant because it has led to groundbreaking theories and discoveries in the field of physics, including Einstein's theory of relativity. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and the nature of space and time.

Can the constant speed of light be exceeded?

According to the current understanding of physics, the constant speed of light cannot be exceeded. This is a fundamental principle in Einstein's theory of relativity and has been consistently supported by experiments. However, scientists continue to explore this concept in various thought experiments to further our understanding of the universe.