Exploring the Diversity of Natural Electrical Circuits: A Scientific Perspective

In summary, the conversation discussed the presence of complete electrical circuits in nature. Examples such as the nervous system in the human body, galvanic corrosion, and lightning were mentioned. It was noted that charge is conserved and therefore, there must be a complete circuit for lightning to occur. The complexity and variations of circuits, both natural and artificial, were also discussed.
edenenix15
Hello everyone, I have a strange question. Can complete electrical circuits be found in nature? If so, can you give any examples? And what is necessarily required (besides electricity) for a complete electrical circuit to occur, naturally or unnaturally?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about the nervous system in your own body?

Right sorry, I also mean found in non living matter. Like rocks, or water, or wood.

How about galvanic corrosion?

I'm sure there are dozens and dozens of examples.

What about lightning ?
Charge is carried aloft , returns to Earth
Kirchoff seems to be okay with the time delay.
Or you could think of it as a capacitance phenomenon...

My random thoughts:
There is electrical energy flowing whenever there are electrically connected dissimilar metals in an electrolyte. Happens in seawater a lot. Or, even in the ground (like oil and gas pipelines).
Static electrictity charge accumulation and discharge is common, the most dramatic being lightning. Static electricity accumulates and dissipates routinely on all sorts of surfaces.
The northern lights are electrical phenomena due to solar storms.
Solar storms create induced currents in all sorts of things (power lines, pipelines, anything that conducts).
Anytime a piece of metal moves in the Earth's magnetic field there are induced currents.
Electric fish are a dramatic living example.

Two major sources:
Any place a charge can accumulate and dissipate from natural causes, either chemical or physical, you have, by definition, a complete circuit.
Any conductor moving in a magnetic field or conductor in a changing magnetic field.

I know there are plenty of examples for natural electrical currents, but is something like lightning a complete electrical circuit? Such as those found in computers and nervous systems?

edenenix15 said:
there are plenty of examples for natural electrical currents, but is something like lightning a complete electrical circuit? Such as those found in computers and nervous systems?

The important thing you should know is thst charge is conserved. It does not just appear or disappear.

If lightning was not part of a complete circuit it would leave a big pile of plus charges someplace and another pile of minus charges another place. Since we don't find charged places like that on this planet, the circuit must be closed, no matter how indirectly. Does that make sense to you?

The actual ways those charges migrate to meet up eventually may be hard to identify. But the fact that ereryplace is approximately neutral is the evidence that it must happen.

Lightning IS the completion of the circuit. Charges build up in the clouds and then discharge as a lightning bolt or other plasma effects. Current flows, that's a circuit. There are probably simulation models that describe the lightning circuit in gross detail (I've never looked --- maybe you can).

Likes donpacino
meBigGuy said:
Charges build up in the clouds
Unipolar?

Considering only cloud-earth lightning:
If the initial and final conditions are neutral clouds and neutral earth, and if the lightning stroke transports charge, then it follows that there must be an additional flow of charge from-cloud-to Earth either pre or post strike to make everything balance. We don't need any models at all to know that the time integral of cloud-earth charge migration must be zero.

then it follows that there must be an additional flow of charge from-cloud-to Earth either pre or post strike to make everything balance.
i've long felt it's got to have something to do with evaporation of the water that makes thunderclouds

upload_2016-1-10_7-29-58.png
^^ looks to me like a mechanism for charge transport

upload_2016-1-10_7-34-44.png

Fridman & Kennedy, Plasma Physics and Engineering

Might that orientation 'positive inward negative outward' be an invitation for evaporating water molecules to carry away an occasional hitch-hiking electron as they depart the surface ? Thus carrying negative charge to the bottom of the forming cloud ?i'm no expert - it's a question not an assertion

Last edited:
anorlunda said:
Since we don't find charged places like that on this planet, the circuit must be closed, no matter how indirectly. Does that make sense to you?

Yup, that makes perfect sense. My next question is, for lightning as a closed circuit, do we see any difference in lightning's circuit compared to the circuits that lead up to intelligence? Natural or artificial? I'm guessing no?

Every circuit is different. Do they all follow the Electrical Laws of Physics? -- Of course. Do they all involve potential, current, capacitance, inductance, resistance, and energy in some configuration? --- Of course. Are there, within the laws of Physics, huge differences between circuits? Of course.

At some geometries maybe the quantum effects are more significant to overall behavior, etc, but the all follow the same rules.

Some circuits may be dominated by capacitance, some by inductance, some thousands of volts, some thousands of amps. SOme may have 3 components, some thousands. Can we model them and simulate them with variations in the basic components values, I think so.

But, that's like saying all physical systems are the same, atoms, and galaxies. Not sure it is a meaningful statement.

Not sure how else to answer the question.

1. What is a natural electrical circuit?

A natural electrical circuit is a pathway through which electricity flows in nature. These circuits can be found in various forms, such as lightning strikes, solar energy, and even the electrical currents in our bodies.

2. How do natural electrical circuits work?

Natural electrical circuits work by utilizing the flow of electrons, which are tiny particles with a negative charge. These electrons are attracted to positively charged particles, creating a flow of electricity. This flow can occur through conductive materials, such as metal, or through the atmosphere in the case of lightning.

3. What are the benefits of studying natural electrical circuits?

Studying natural electrical circuits allows us to better understand the natural phenomena that occur in our environment. It also helps us to develop new technologies and harness renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power.

4. How are natural electrical circuits different from man-made circuits?

One of the main differences between natural and man-made electrical circuits is their source of energy. Natural circuits rely on natural phenomena, such as the sun or wind, while man-made circuits require a power source, such as batteries or generators. Natural circuits also tend to be more unpredictable and powerful than man-made circuits.

5. Are there any dangers associated with natural electrical circuits?

Yes, there can be dangers associated with natural electrical circuits. Lightning strikes, for example, can be harmful or even deadly to humans and animals. It is important to take precautions and avoid being in open areas during thunderstorms. Additionally, improperly handling or coming into contact with certain natural electrical sources, such as live wires or electric eels, can also be dangerous.