Exploring the Fifth Force: A Promising Frontier in Physics?

In summary, a possible essay topic for a student looking to write about current scientific concepts is the fifth fundamental force of nature.
astro_chara
I have to write an essay on a current scientific idea or concept that is still considered emerging or experimental. Does anyone have any ideas as to what topic I should write? I'm looking for more physics-related topics, and I've considered writing about the "fifth force," though I'm not sure that there's enough information to write a 500 word essay on.

Any ideas?? :D?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that quantum computers are a less hypothetical and more realistic subject. And there is more to read about it on the internet, that isn't questionable like "the 5th force".

Likes astro_chara and Fervent Freyja
astro_chara said:
I have to write an essay on a current scientific idea or concept that is still considered emerging or experimental. Does anyone have any ideas as to what topic I should write? I'm looking for more physics-related topics, and I've considered writing about the "fifth force," though I'm not sure that there's enough information to write a 500 word essay on.

Any ideas?? :D?

Why not? 500 words wouldn't scratch the background. http://arxiv.org/abs/1604.07411 is the preprint version of the study. You should also look at the Hungarian study, and many of the citations.

fresh_42 said:
I think that quantum computers are a less hypothetical and more realistic subject. And there is more to read about it on the internet, that isn't questionable like "the 5th force".
Quantum computers sound like a super great idea! I think I'm looking for more scientific concepts though. Do you have any ideas? I feel like the fifth force is definitely way too hypothetical.

astro_chara said:
Quantum computers sound like a super great idea! I think I'm looking for more scientific concepts though. Do you have any ideas? I feel like the fifth force is definitely way too hypothetical.
Well, I think quantum computers are very scientific, on the hardware side as well as on the software side with completely new algorithms.
Other "more scientific" concepts would be dark matter or dark energy. However, nobody on Earth really knows what they are.
How about superconductivity and the efforts on the temperature scale? Or the various attempts on a stable plasma for fission processes? Or - again very hypothetical - why scientists don't expect an element 119 to be created any time soon.

In actuality, quantum computers is a substantial topic. But as this essay is for a Natural Science school type thing, I want to convey my interests in physics and cosmology. Like you mentioned, dark matter or dark energy would be a pretty good topic. A lot better than the fifth force haha

astro_chara said:
In actuality, quantum computers is a substantial topic. But as this essay is for a Natural Science school type thing, I want to convey my interests in physics and cosmology. Like you mentioned, dark matter or dark energy would be a pretty good topic. A lot better than the fifth force haha
If you do so, you should concentrate on one of the two as they are completely different phenomena. You can search here on PF for threads about them.

Or you can write about our cosmic address. (The little red dot is us,)

bild145.jpg

Likes Pepper Mint
astro_chara said:

Quantum computing is an application of natural science, specifically physics.

Why would dark matter or energy be "better"? In fact, researching the former actually somewhat led to the paper linked above. There are currently experiments underway to test the hypothesis. It's good science, and a good way to see the scientific method in action - not to mention it's quite a bit more "emergent and experimental". (Read: more focused of a topic than either three of the broad categories mentioned so far.)

Just my opinion.

I know this thread has already died, but I did decide on an essay topic, that being the fifth fundamental force of nature. Below is a link to my blog which holds my finished essay regarding this topic: Edit by mod: link to blog deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, we do not allow links to blogs, link removed, responses deleted, thread closed.

What is considered a "big" scientific idea?

A big scientific idea is one that has the potential to significantly impact our understanding of the world around us. It is usually a novel and groundbreaking concept that challenges existing theories and leads to new discoveries.

How are big scientific ideas generated?

Big scientific ideas can come from a variety of sources, such as observations, experiments, and theoretical models. They often arise from the curiosity and creativity of scientists, who are constantly seeking to improve our understanding of the natural world.

How do big scientific ideas contribute to scientific progress?

Big scientific ideas drive scientific progress by expanding our knowledge and pushing the boundaries of existing theories. They often lead to new discoveries, advancements in technology, and practical applications that benefit society.

What makes a big scientific idea successful?

A successful big scientific idea is one that is supported by evidence and can withstand rigorous testing and scrutiny. It should also have the potential to generate further research and contribute to the overall advancement of science.

How can we encourage the development of big scientific ideas?

To encourage the development of big scientific ideas, we can provide funding and resources for research, foster a collaborative and supportive scientific community, and promote diversity and inclusion in the scientific field. We can also engage in interdisciplinary research and encourage creativity and critical thinking in scientific pursuits.