Exploring the Gravity of a Hollow Earth: A Fascinating Scientific Inquiry

In summary, if Earth's mass was compressed into a thin uniform shell, the force of gravity on the outside would decrease significantly. However, if Earth was hollowed out but maintained its shape, the force of gravity would remain the same as if all the mass was concentrated at the center.
Tris Fray Potter
This is a question that has been bothering me, but I can't find an answer anywhere:
If I were to hollow out Earth so that the crust was the only mass, and Earth was to keep it's shape, how would this affect the outside gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd be a lot lighter. Like 99% lighter.

Likes Tris Fray Potter
Tris Fray Potter said:
This is a question that has been bothering me, but I can't find an answer anywhere:
If I were to hollow out Earth so that the crust was the only mass, and Earth was to keep it's shape, how would this affect the outside gravity?

If you turned Earth into a thin uniform spherical shell,
$$\vec {F}=-G\frac {M_sm_p} {r^2}\hat {r} $$
Still holds assuming your r is greater than the radius of the shell. You would still treat the shell as though all the mass is concentrated in the center. So what changes is the mass of the shell, and as a result your force of attraction becomes much smaller assuming the only difference is you've simply gutted the Earth.

If you were to take all of Earth's mass and compress it into a thin uniform shell, so that the masses remain equal, you wouldn't see much of a difference from this stand point. Although, you probably wouldn't want to live there anymore.

Likes Tris Fray Potter
Thank-you!

What is the theory of the "Gravity of hollow Earth"?

The theory of the "Gravity of hollow Earth" suggests that the Earth is not a solid sphere, but rather a hollow shell with openings at the poles. This theory proposes that the Earth's gravity is created by the mass of the inner shell, rather than the mass of the entire planet.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the theory of the "Gravity of hollow Earth"?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the theory of the "Gravity of hollow Earth". The majority of scientific evidence points to the Earth being a solid sphere with a dense core, rather than a hollow shell.

What are the potential implications of the "Gravity of hollow Earth" theory?

If the theory were true, it would greatly challenge our understanding of the Earth's structure and gravity. It would also require a complete reworking of our current models of planetary formation and dynamics.

What is the history of the "Gravity of hollow Earth" theory?

The idea of a hollow Earth has been around for centuries, with various civilizations and cultures having their own interpretations of it. However, the specific theory of the "Gravity of hollow Earth" was first proposed by John Symmes Jr. in the early 19th century and has been debated and studied by scientists ever since.

Are there any mainstream scientists who support the "Gravity of hollow Earth" theory?

No, the majority of mainstream scientists do not support the "Gravity of hollow Earth" theory. It is considered a fringe theory and is not supported by any reputable scientific evidence or research.