Exploring the Illusion of Time and its Impact on Our Sleep Patterns

• Thread starter Rodrigo Cesar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Time is a complex concept that is intertwined with space and events. While it may seem very real, our understanding of it is constantly evolving and its true nature is still a mystery. It is often compared to currency, as it measures movement and change, but without events, time cannot be defined.
Rodrigo Cesar
I watch a few videos on youtube saying that the time may be an illusion, what they mean by that?
If time is an illusion, then why our brain knows when to sleep? and why the brain knows when to wake up (at the right time) And about the birds that agree to wake up at the same time every day? And why when we take melatonin, the brain regulates at the right time which we all should sleep? (between 9-10pm).
I do not understand why they say "illusion", to me it seems VERY REAL.

Physics news on Phys.org
Time is that property of the universe that prevents everything from happening all at once.

Ok that was meant to be a joke. :) But it has a serious aspect, in that it seems to be impossible to define time in any way that isn't self referential.

I am fond of Wilipedia's definition. "Time is a measure in which events can be ordered from the past through the present into the future."

That is close to what uart said.

The deep philosophical aspect of this is that without events, time cannot be defined. And quantum theory tells us that without energy, nothing can ever change. No change, no events. Therefore energy and time are closely intertwined.

Rodrigo Cesar said:
I do not understand why they say "illusion", to me it seems VERY REAL.
Yeah I know what you're saying, but things like special relativity tell us that time certainly isn't how it intuitively appears to be. We know that time is somehow coupled with space, but I think that the ultimate nature of those most fundamental of all things, time and space, is still a mystery.

I guess a good analogy would be that only a few hundred years ago people didn't know what temperature was. Yet certainly concepts of hot and cold, keeping ourselves warm and keeping certain food items cool so as not to spoil, must have been just as important to people back then. So people would have believed that they understood what hot and cold were, but fundamentally they didn't. (As in, they didn't know that the temperature of objects was due to random atomic vibrations).

Last edited:
I was once mystified by time. Now I see it as nothing but counting something mechanical.

Take a reference motion, such as the Earth rotation, and all of the "t"'s in physics equations could be replaced with "number of Earth rotations".

Instead of "distance over time", speed could be defined as "distance between A and B" over a reference "distance between C and D".

Time is currency for various movements (distances, rotations, and oscillations), just as money is currency for various commodities.

Without movement, there is no time. Until I'm corrected of course.

This question comes up time after time after time here (pun intended), as can be seen by the list of "similar discussions" at the bottom of this page. Discussion almost always goes off in various directions, mostly philosophical, which goes against our general rule against woolly philosophical speculation. Therefore this thread is closed.

Likes bhobba

1. How does our perception of time affect our sleep patterns?

Our perception of time can greatly impact our sleep patterns. For example, if we constantly feel like we don't have enough time in the day, we may sacrifice sleep in order to get more done. This can lead to sleep deprivation and a disruption in our sleep patterns.

2. Is there a biological reason for our perception of time?

Yes, there is a biological basis for our perception of time. Our brain has an internal clock, known as the circadian rhythm, which helps regulate our sleep-wake cycle. This internal clock is influenced by factors such as light exposure, hormones, and body temperature, all of which can impact our perception of time.

3. Can our sleep patterns affect our perception of time?

Absolutely. When we are sleep deprived, our perception of time can be distorted. This is because our brain is not functioning at its optimal level, leading to difficulty in accurately perceiving time. Additionally, disruptions in our sleep patterns, such as jet lag or shift work, can also impact our perception of time.

4. How can we improve our sleep patterns and our perception of time?

One way to improve our sleep patterns and our perception of time is to establish a consistent sleep schedule and stick to it. This will help regulate our circadian rhythm and improve the quality and duration of our sleep. Additionally, practicing relaxation techniques and reducing stress can also improve our perception of time and help us sleep better.

5. Can technology play a role in our perception of time and sleep patterns?

Yes, technology can have a significant impact on our perception of time and our sleep patterns. The blue light emitted from electronic devices can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps us sleep. This can disrupt our sleep patterns and make it harder for us to fall asleep. It is recommended to limit screen time before bed and to avoid using electronic devices in the bedroom for better sleep and a more accurate perception of time.