Exploring the Origins of the Flu and Cold Viruses

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary: I guess its different.In summary, the vaccine is supposed to prevent you from getting the flu. It makes sense to me. The cold virus is the flu's less intense cousin.
misskitty
Every year we hear about the flu season and the cold season without fail. Everybody is always so riled up about the flu. With good reason too. Now they have patented a vaccine that is supposed to prevent you from getting the virus. Makes sense to me. Vaccinate high risk people who could potentially die from getting it. The cold virus is the flu's less intense cousin.

Bacteria evolves all the time. Its mind boggling how bacteria manage to exponetially grow. With all that bacteria growing and evolving all the time, the flu virus had to come from somewhere. The same goes for the cold virus. Where did they come from? Is there a common strain of bacteria they evolved from?

Let me know your thoughts. It would be interesting to discuss. Oh, and by the way, how does eating chicken soup when you're sick help you get better?

Biology news on Phys.org
Viruses and bacteria are entirely different entities. Colds and flu are caused by viruses, not bacteria. They also arise from unrelated viruses, so are not "cousins." The symptoms they share are due to how a person's immune system fights "invaders" of any kind.

The chicken soup answer is in the other thread you started about home remedies. :smile: Briefly, it just ensures you're getting your nutrition and hydration so your own immune system can keep up the fight.

Yeah I see your point. How many different strains of the flu virus are there?
The chicken soup question is kinda relevant to both threads. I was just curious. :smile:

Chicken soup and many of its ingredients help stop the movement of neutrophils -- white blood cells that eat up bacteria and cellular debris and which are released in great numbers by viral infections like colds.
Tryptophan {also inthe soup} helps you to rest.

There are only 3 types of the influenza virus (known as A, B and C) but many strains. Type A being the most common.It is constantly changing its genetic makeup, so we need new shots every year.

Of course, viruses may have been created by ancient bacteria for their own defense; unfortunately, not long afterward, the weaponry was coevolving.

- Warren

hypatia said:
Chicken soup and many of its ingredients help stop the movement of neutrophils -- white blood cells that eat up bacteria and cellular debris and which are released in great numbers by viral infections like colds.
Tryptophan {also inthe soup} helps you to rest.

There are only 3 types of the influenza virus (known as A, B and C) but many strains. Type A being the most common.It is constantly changing its genetic makeup, so we need new shots every year.

Interesting stuff in chicken soup. Who knew? :wink: Its a good thing it tastes good, well, when your not all stuffed up... :grumpy:

You know what? In Chinese tradition, once you get sick you're not allowed to have any chicken products at all! This is totally in contrast to western cultures, as my grandparents and relatives scoff at the idea of chicken soup when sick. Being Chinese myself, I tend to believe my culture's concern with chicken. Anybody have anything to back this up?

K.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/405961

Chicken soup inhihibits neutrophil chemotaxis in vitro...

Chicken soup may have a number of beneficial effects for an individual with a cold. These could include actions as diverse as improving hydration and nutritional status [19] and accelerating mucosal clearance. [5] The nature of the direct cytotoxic actions on microorganisms are controversial.[6,20,21] Another potential mechanism for beneficial effects could be an attenuation of the inflammatory response. In order to evaluate that possibility, the ability of chicken soup to inhibit neutrophil chemotaxis in response to standard chemotactic stimuli was evaluated and demonstrated in the current study. These results provide one mechanistic basis in support of the traditional claims made for chicken soup as a remedy...

Of course, there are no randomized double blinded clinical trials (in vivo ) demonstration of any benefit. :biggrin:

Last edited:
misskitty said:
Every year we hear about the flu season and the cold season without fail. Everybody is always so riled up about the flu. With good reason too. Now they have patented a vaccine that is supposed to prevent you from getting the virus.

I thought the flu virus mutates so quickly that we need to develop a vaccine each year for each new strain. How can a vaccine be patented if this is so?

Not sure. Ask the drug companies.

kalladin said:
You know what? In Chinese tradition, once you get sick you're not allowed to have any chicken products at all! This is totally in contrast to western cultures, as my grandparents and relatives scoff at the idea of chicken soup when sick. Being Chinese myself, I tend to believe my culture's concern with chicken. Anybody have anything to back this up?

K.

Weird. Well cool too. I've never heard that. Why does your culture not allow you to have chicken products once you get sick? Is there some superstitous reasoning behind it?

Now I've got to know. Hope you don't mind.

It's not superstitious at all! Yet, none of the people in my family know why we don't have chicken if we are sick. This is also true for those tangy fruits like oranges. I'm sure most cultural stuff pass through generations because people have tried it and it actually works.

And yeah.. the flu virus does mutate rapidly and we have to come up with new vaccines every year. No idea how a flu vaccine can be patented though. Besides, vaccines are too overrated these days :P

K.

I've never heard that. Prety cool cultural things you go going on there. I mean that sincerely too.

I asked about the superstition because I didn't know. Sorry if I offended you :redface:

What is the difference between the flu and the cold?

The flu and the cold are both respiratory illnesses caused by viruses, but they are caused by different types of viruses. The flu is caused by the influenza virus, while the cold is caused by a variety of viruses, such as rhinovirus and coronavirus. The flu is also typically more severe than the cold, with symptoms such as fever, body aches, and fatigue, while the cold usually presents with milder symptoms like a runny nose and sore throat.

How do the flu and cold viruses spread?

The flu and cold viruses are spread through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person talks, coughs, or sneezes. These droplets can then enter the body through the nose, mouth, or eyes of someone nearby. The viruses can also spread by touching a surface or object contaminated with the virus and then touching one's mouth, nose, or eyes.

Why do flu and cold viruses typically increase during the winter months?

The flu and cold viruses are more prevalent during the winter months due to a combination of factors. Firstly, people tend to spend more time indoors in close contact with others, making it easier for the viruses to spread. Additionally, the colder and drier air during the winter can weaken the immune system, making it easier for viruses to take hold in our bodies.

How do scientists study the origins of flu and cold viruses?

Scientists study the origins of flu and cold viruses by analyzing their genetic material. They can trace the evolution of these viruses and identify the source of their emergence and spread. Scientists also conduct studies on animals that can carry these viruses, such as birds and pigs, to better understand how they can mutate and jump to humans.

What are some ways to prevent the spread of flu and cold viruses?

The best way to prevent the spread of flu and cold viruses is to practice good hygiene. This includes washing your hands frequently, covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and avoiding close contact with people who are sick. Getting vaccinated against the flu can also help prevent the spread of the virus. Additionally, maintaining a healthy immune system through proper diet and exercise can also help protect against these viruses.