Exploring the Physics Behind a Bike Helmet: Egg Survival Device Project

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics project where the goal is to create a device that can protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a height of 11m. The speaker has already created a device similar to a bike helmet and it has been successfully tested. They now need to explain the physics principles behind its success, such as energy conservation, momentum conservation, pressure, air resistance, and terminal velocity. They ask for any assistance or clarification on these concepts.
alster23
well I am doing a project in my physics class where i have to create a device for an egg to survive a 11m fall. i created a device similar to that of a bike helmet.
its been tested and it works but now i have to discuss the reason why it works. i need to include physics principles and the formulas for them such as energy conservation, momentum conservation, pressure, air resistance, terminal velocity etc. etc. and how they help prevent an egg from breaking. anything will help. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
alster23 said:
well I am doing a project in my physics class where i have to create a device for an egg to survive a 11m fall. i created a device similar to that of a bike helmet.
its been tested and it works but now i have to discuss the reason why it works. i need to include physics principles and the formulas for them such as energy conservation, momentum conservation, pressure, air resistance, terminal velocity etc. etc. and how they help prevent an egg from breaking. anything will help. thanks

It's your project. Talk to us...

we can't help you with your project completely,

instead you try some explanations for the same ... and ask us if they are correct or any of your queries here!
we'll be happy to help then!

Related to Exploring the Physics Behind a Bike Helmet: Egg Survival Device Project

1. How does a bike helmet protect against head injuries?

Bike helmets are designed to absorb and dissipate the impact energy of a collision or fall. The hard outer shell of the helmet distributes the force of the impact over a larger area, while the inner foam layer compresses to absorb the energy.

2. Why do some bike helmets have visors?

Visors on bike helmets serve two purposes. First, they provide shade for the rider's eyes, reducing glare and improving visibility. Secondly, they can help deflect branches or other debris that may fall on the rider's head while cycling.

3. How does the shape of a bike helmet affect its performance?

The shape of a bike helmet plays a crucial role in its aerodynamics and impact protection. A more streamlined shape reduces wind resistance and can improve a rider's speed. Additionally, a rounded shape is better at distributing impact forces compared to a pointed one.

4. Do all bike helmets have the same level of protection?

No, bike helmets can vary in their level of protection. Some helmets are designed for casual use and may not have as much impact-absorbing foam as those meant for more intense activities, such as mountain biking. It is important to choose a helmet that is appropriate for your intended activity.

5. How often should bike helmets be replaced?

Bike helmets should be replaced every 3-5 years, even if they have not been involved in a crash. Over time, the materials in the helmet can degrade, reducing its effectiveness in protecting against head injuries. Additionally, if a helmet has been involved in a crash, it should be replaced immediately, as it may have sustained damage that is not visible to the naked eye.