Exploring the Possibility of Boltzmann Brain Formation

• I
  • Thread starter DannyTr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boltzmann
In summary, the saying "Everything can happen, will happen" is true, but it can become impossible for things to happen that were once possible.
DannyTr
‘Everything can happen, will happen’ so the saying goes. So given infinite time a universe is meant to generate infinite Boltzmann brains. But I was thinking about this:

- Things that are possible can become impossible (example: heat death making Boltzmann brains formation impossible)

- Things that are impossible can’t become possible again

- So the probability space shrinks with time

- The probability space shrinking to exclude Boltzmann brain formation will probably happen before any brains are formed?

- After a certain period of time elapsed, Boltzmann brain formation becomes impossible?

- Argument assumes a universe with infinite time and space but finite mass.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Space news on Phys.org
It may be a saying that if something is possible then it must happen, but it isn't necessarily so.
It's within the realm of possibility that the same person could win the lottery every week

The temperature in the universe decreases - the probability for thermal fluctuations above some threshold goes down. It is unclear if a large energy is possible at all in an essentially empty universe (0-1 massive particles plus possible radiation from the expansion of the universe).

DannyTr said:
Things that are impossible can’t become possible again
I doubt that.

phinds said:
I doubt that.
I mean if they are impossible then by definition they can’t become possible.

For example once all the stars have burnt out, and no more can form then certain things in the universe become impossible...

So

DannyTr said:
I mean if they are impossible then by definition they can’t become possible.

For example once all the stars have burnt out, and no more can form then certain things in the universe become impossible...

So
I agree that SOME things that become (or are) impossible will not again become possible. I do NOT agree that that it is always true. For example, it was impossible to Michael Jordon to do a dunk when he was 3 years old. But now ...

phinds said:
I agree that SOME things that become (or are) impossible will not again become possible. I do NOT agree that that it is always true. For example, it was impossible to Michael Jordon to do a dunk when he was 3 years old. But now ...

By possible / impossible I mean everything possible / impossible in the present and future, rather than just the present as in your example.

So it was always possible that a grown up Michael Jordon would be able to do a dunk.

Contrast that to a universe where there are one way irreversible processes like the 2nd law of thermodynamics and density reducing with time - these would reduce the future possibility space I think.

DannyTr said:
By possible / impossible I mean everything possible / impossible in the present and future

DannyTr said:
these would reduce the future possibility space

Do you see the contradiction between these two statements?

PeterDonis said:
Do you see the contradiction between these two statements?

No please enlighten me.

Things that are possible can become impossible
AND
Future possibility space becomes smaller
Are not contradictory?

DannyTr said:
No please enlighten me.

You're saying that your "possibility space" already includes all of the future; but then you say the future possibility space becomes smaller. Those two statements are contradictory. If your possibility space already includes all of the future, then the possibility space can't change with time.

DannyTr said:
Things that are possible can become impossible
AND
Future possibility space becomes smaller
Are not contradictory?

Those weren't the statements I quoted and said were contradictory. See above.

If I rephrase it maybe it makes sense:

At time t+1 the set of all possible future events is smaller than the set of all possible future events at time t.

DannyTr said:
If I rephrase it maybe it makes sense:

At time t+1 the set of all possible future events is smaller than the set of all possible future events at time t.

If you rephrase it this way, first, you are explicitly rejecting your previous statement that your "possibility space" includes all future possibilities. Which is fine, but it indicates to me that you're confused about what actual model you are using.

And second, rephrased this way, your claim is false, because, if you are allowing your "possibility space" to change with time, you have given no argument to show why the "size" of that space can't increase with time. The only argument you gave relied specifically on your definition of "possibility space" as already including all future possibilities. Once we drop that definition, your argument no longer works. Again, this indicates to me that you're confused about what actual model you are using.

DannyTr said:
- So the probability space shrinks with time
Provided the laws of physics are unitary (which is usually expected to be the case, as otherwise causality becomes poorly-defined), the probability space cannot ever change.

PeterDonis said:
And second, rephrased this way, your claim is false, because, if you are allowing your "possibility space" to change with time, you have given no argument to show why the "size" of that space can't increase with time. The only argument you gave relied specifically on your definition of "possibility space" as already including all future possibilities.

- The size of the probability space can’t increase with time because ‘things that are impossible can’t become possible’
- The size of the probability space can decrease with time because ‘things that are possible can become impossible’

DannyTr said:
The size of the probability space can’t increase with time because ‘things that are impossible can’t become possible’

Which is false if we allow the possibility space to change with time. Conditions can change that make something previously impossible possible. You have already been given examples of this in this thread; your only response to those was to claim that your "possibility space" already included all future possibilities--but if that's the case, then this...

DannyTr said:
The size of the probability space can decrease with time because ‘things that are possible can become impossible’

...is also false. You can't have it both ways.

kimbyd said:
Provided the laws of physics are unitary (which is usually expected to be the case, as otherwise causality becomes poorly-defined), the probability space cannot ever change.

Probability space can change: think about the 2nd law of thermodynamics - closed systems start energetic and full of possibilities and over time die a heat death and tend to stillness and lack of possibilities.

Think of sturing a cup of coffee. Lots of motion and possibilities to start with tending to stillness and lack of possibilities.

PeterDonis said:
Conditions can change that make something previously impossible possible.

- If it was impossible to start with, nothing can make it possible (assuming laws of nature invariant over time).

DannyTr said:
Probability space can change

Yes. Which means that things that were possible can become impossible, and things that were impossible can become possible. Again, you can't have it both ways; "change" can happen in either direction, you can't just arbitrarily exclude one.

DannyTr said:
- If it was impossible to start with, nothing can make it possible (assuming laws of nature invariant over time).
If that's true, then something that's possible can't be made impossible, by the same reasoning.

DannyTr said:
If it was impossible to start with, nothing can make it possible (assuming laws of nature invariant over time).

You have given no argument or reference to support this, and you just keep repeating it without even addressing the responses you have been given. That is not the way to have a productive discussion.

Thread closed.

1. What is the Boltzmann Brain?

The Boltzmann Brain is a hypothetical concept in physics and cosmology proposed by Ludwig Boltzmann. It refers to a self-aware entity that spontaneously arises from a random configuration of particles in a universe that is in a state of maximum entropy.

2. How does the Boltzmann Brain form?

The formation of a Boltzmann Brain is an extremely rare event and is only possible in a universe that is in a state of maximum entropy. In this scenario, all the particles in the universe are randomly distributed and could, by chance, come together to form a self-aware entity, such as a human brain.

3. What are the implications of Boltzmann Brain formation?

The concept of Boltzmann Brain formation has raised philosophical and scientific debates about the existence and nature of reality. It challenges our understanding of the origin of consciousness and the role of randomness in the universe. It also raises questions about the validity of the anthropic principle and the multiverse theory.

4. Is there any evidence for Boltzmann Brain formation?

There is currently no evidence for the formation of a Boltzmann Brain in our universe. The concept remains purely theoretical and is a subject of ongoing research and discussion among physicists and philosophers. However, some scientists argue that if the universe continues to expand and reach a state of maximum entropy, the probability of Boltzmann Brain formation may increase.

5. How does the idea of Boltzmann Brain formation relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe was once in a highly ordered state before expanding and evolving into its current state. The concept of Boltzmann Brain formation challenges this idea by proposing that a self-aware entity can spontaneously arise from a universe in a state of maximum entropy, without the need for a highly ordered beginning. This has led to discussions about the possibility of a cyclic universe, where the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction, ultimately leading to a state of maximum entropy and the formation of Boltzmann Brains.