Exploring the Reality of Love: Perspectives from Science and Society

• Thread starter Carly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, Warren believes that love is real and that it can be identified with a chemical state in the brain. He also believes that love is great when it is taken to the bedroom.
Astronuc said:
In a couple of cases, I declined a level of intimacy for which I was simply not ready, because there was no commitment of marriage. What can I say, I am simply 'old-fashioned'. The women then broke the relationships at that point.

This is a first in the history of mankind: A guy turning down playboy playmates! my hats off to you

Girls just want to have fun :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Actually, in either case, the egoistic and egotistic persons are by definition 'dependent' on others to 'feed' their egos, i.e. egoists/egotists 'need' an audience.

Thats narcissism. I don't need any one's approval to fuel my ego, i do that just fine on my own. I could be the only one left alive, i would still have the same mount everest sized ego.

As for independence - successful relationships are based on "inter-dependence".

I disagree. Interdependenc will tend towards co-dependence, especially with weak-willed people, and i ahve absolutely no interest in anyone who becomes co-dependent in a relationship, it kills any sort of attraction. If the relationship were to end right there, and who she is would change, because she chooses to define herself by her relationships to others, that is too dependent. It is a very fine line between inter-dependent and co-dependent, and one i would prefer to stay away from.

I thought of a better way to describe my opinion, and situation in this matter. Seen the movie Intolerable Cruelty?

Let's just say i feel like miles massey.

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:
i define myself as independent of others. I exist, whether or not people recognize it, i am who i am regardless of them. If everyone else died tomorrow, and i was the last human being, i would still be exactly who i am today.

To lose the egotism would be to lose that fundamental independence.

Keep the egotism/egoism/ergoschism or whatever, dude. If I was half as cool as you at 17 years old, I'd be several times the geezer I am today. Just keep being yourself.

Franz I'd clap my hands for everything you say on this post, but I can also cry for you for thinking that way, you will be a misfit and you will find that life and people can be very hard to anyone not willing to conform. Some people will try to crush you for the sheer reason that you by trying to be youself, makes them look bad. I know for I have been there. It's a sad sad world and I can cry a river. Nonetheless, we must have courage to do what we believe in and the wisdom to review and adjust. I'd say also, keep being you.

the number 42 said:
Keep the egotism/egoism/ergoschism or whatever, dude. If I was half as cool as you at 17 years old, I'd be several times the geezer I am today. Just keep being yourself.

Why do i sense thinly veiled sarcasm?

I think that at the age of 17 one is hardly in a position to talk about love: these are feelings that develop over time and depend on other things besides infatuation. I do believe that some people will never experience true love, you've got to meet the right person and invest the right kind of energy.

franznietzsche said:
Stress is stress, love is nothing special.
franznietzsche said:
My conclusion? "Love" is cheap, and nothing special. It is as easily gotten as it is lost.
The fact that you've never experienced love, says that in fact love is hard to acquire. You're confusing love with infatuation. In my book, caring about someone is not cheap, truly bonding with someone is not easily gotten and won't be easily lost.

Monique said:
The fact that you've never experienced love, says that in fact love is hard to acquire. You're confusing love with infatuation. In my book, caring about someone is not cheap, truly bonding with someone is not easily gotten and won't be easily lost.

Yes my statements are based on what i see in everyone else. The only way to make objective observations. I'm not going to base my understanding of an emotion on how i feel that emotion--that is subjective. I'm only interested in objective understandings of anything--the obvious universal that an outsider can see by watching someone else experience that emotion. And i know what i have seen.

Since all of you insist on bringing in whether or not I've ever felt love, i will say that once i felt what i would have qualified as love. It certainly wasn't lust, and you can call it infatuation, but i don't think so. Let's just say she was the only girl that ever met my criteria of being an equal and a challenge. Things just didn't work out unfortunately, despite my best efforts.

franznietzsche said:
Yes my statements are based on what i see in everyone else. The only way to make objective observations.
Well, how do you evaluate the emotions of other people, and which group of people did you observe? True love is not ubiquitous.

franznietzsche said:
Why do i sense thinly veiled sarcasm?

Because you are a dipstick.

the number 42 said:
Because you are a dipstick.
I <3 you too?

franznietzsche said:
I <3 you too?

Well it is Valentine's Day :rolleyes:

the number 42 said:
Well it is Valentine's Day :rolleyes:

Will you be my valentine?

Only if you have good taste in blokes :blushing:

Is it too late to rephrase that?

franznietzsche said:
Since all of you insist on bringing in whether or not I've ever felt love, i will say that once i felt what i would have qualified as love. It certainly wasn't lust, and you can call it infatuation, but i don't think so. Let's just say she was the only girl that ever met my criteria of being an equal and a challenge. Things just didn't work out unfortunately, despite my best efforts.

So which bit of love isn't real then? The bit where you don't both live happily ever after together, & have 2.4 kids? Love may not work out, but it doesn't mean its not real. It can be a real pain.

Last edited:
Don't think many of us have had the experience of being in love and in a depression at the same time, most of the time it felt like a joy secretly and slowly seeping through a thick layer of numb pain. Now that the depression is dissipating, I am starting to feel a die-hard anxiety wrestling with gentle euphoria, and I am but a stranger in my own world...love is real-ly unreal.

Astronuc said:
...the Golden Rule - Do unto others as one would have done unto onself. (This does not apply to masochists).

If you make the assumption that what you like (e.g. Mozart) is what others will like (e.g. heavy metal fans) you'll soon find that 'doing unto others' can backfire more times than not. I was told the Golden Rule is 'see things from the other person's perspective'. If you try to find out what others like, and do that unto them, they'll be a lot happier about it.

Anyway, what have you got against masochists?

the number 42 said:
If you make the assumption that what you like (e.g. Mozart) is what others will like (e.g. heavy metal fans) you'll soon find that 'doing unto others' can backfire more times than not.
That is an misinterpretation of the rule. If one would not wish anyone to 'impose/force' their views/likes/dislikes/rules upon one, then do not do that to others.

the number 42 said:
I was told the Golden Rule is 'see things from the other person's perspective'.
Or, 'walk in the other's shoes.' Good perspective.

the number 42 said:
Anyway, what have you got against masochists?
Nothing, as long as they do not harm others.

Astronuc said:
That is an misinterpretation of the rule. If one would not wish anyone to 'impose/force' their views/likes/dislikes/rules upon one, then do not do that to others.

So 'don't do unto others as you would not have them do unto you'. This is logical, but has the same problems e.g. if you made a living will stating that you didn't want to be resusitated in the event of certain conditions, then you wouldn't last long as a paramedic if you applied this rule to others. Unless I'm misinterpreting the rule again?

the number 42 said:
So 'don't do unto others as you would not have them do unto you'. This is logical, but has the same problems e.g. if you made a living will stating that you didn't want to be resusitated in the event of certain conditions, then you wouldn't last long as a paramedic if you applied this rule to others. Unless I'm misinterpreting the rule again?

Its more misapplication than misinterpretation. your looking too much at the details. A person with a living will has one because they don't want to suffer. So being a paramedic making sure your patients don't suffer is a good thing.

franznietzsche said:
Its more misapplication than misinterpretation. your looking too much at the details. A person with a living will has one because they don't want to suffer. So being a paramedic making sure your patients don't suffer is a good thing.

Yeah, but isn't it just way too easy to come up with these 'misapplications'? If a rule is something that is expected to be broadly generalisable, then the 'do unto others' rule just has too many exceptions to be a proper rule. Its more of an advertising jingle, something that we learned as kids that sticks in our heads and we don't really question.

the number 42 said:
Yeah, but isn't it just way too easy to come up with these 'misapplications'? If a rule is something that is expected to be broadly generalisable, then the 'do unto others' rule just has too many exceptions to be a proper rule. Its more of an advertising jingle, something that we learned as kids that sticks in our heads and we don't really question.

You're actually arguing semantics of the "do unto others" rule? How about instead of arguing the semantics, embrace the actual intent of it. It doesn't mean to force your ways upon them (because you wouldn't want them to force their ways upon you), it means to respect them and their wishes the same way you'd want others to respect you and your wishes.

Moonbear said:
You're actually arguing semantics of the "do unto others" rule? How about instead of arguing the semantics, embrace the actual intent of it. It doesn't mean to force your ways upon them (because you wouldn't want them to force their ways upon you), it means to respect them and their wishes the same way you'd want others to respect you and your wishes.

The "do unto" part suggests an action rather than an attitude, which colours the entire spirit of the saying. "Respect others and their wishes the same way you'd want others to respect you and your wishes" is much less prone to misinterpretation, but I prefer the more proactive "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them".

the number 42 said:
Yeah, but isn't it just way too easy to come up with these 'misapplications'?

ONly because whoever worded it assumed people were obviously smarter than that.

If a rule is something that is expected to be broadly generalisable, then the 'do unto others' rule just has too many exceptions to be a proper rule. Its more of an advertising jingle, something that we learned as kids that sticks in our heads and we don't really question.

It wasn't an exception. It was a stupid interpretation of what a person wanted.

franznietzsche said:
ONly because whoever worded it assumed people were obviously smarter than that.

It wasn't an exception. It was a stupid interpretation of what a person wanted.

Ooh Nitchy, you are in a bad mood :biggrin:

the number 42 said:
Ooh Nitchy, you are in a bad mood :biggrin:

When am i ever in a good mood?

franznietzsche said:
When am i ever in a good mood?

I can't argue with that. Nitchy, you need the love of a good woman. Or at least hmup a bad one.

(PS Sorry - were you trying to kill this thread?)

the number 42 said:
(PS Sorry - were you trying to kill this thread?)
lol, that's funny

the number 42 said:
I can't argue with that. Nitchy, you need the love of a good woman. Or at least hmup a bad one.

I've *had* more than a few bad ones.

The good ones are no where to be found.

franznietzsche said:
I've *had* more than a few bad ones.

Have you considered the ancient practice on onanism, as a temporary measure of course.

franznietzsche said:

A good woman with a fine mind, that's tough tough tough Franz. So far in my life I have only met one who measures up - a Taiwanese history major, sweet natured and highly evolved. Unfortunately for you she is married with two kids.

Ever considered learning Chinese and coming to China/Taiwan to explore? Most of us in Hong Kong though are superficial and frivolous/strong, cold and hard.

In the affairs of the heart, one does need tonnes and tonnes of luck.

Polly said:
A good woman with a fine mind, that's tough tough tough Franz. So far in my life I have only met one who measures up - a Taiwanese history major, sweet natured and highly evolved. Unfortunately for you she is married with two kids.

I've met one. She's a psych major down at UCLA. Absolutely fascinating person she is. I love debating and arguing with her, because whenever we discuss philosophy, we always start from certain assumptions (everyone does), our world view. She's the only liberal I've ever met, who, if i accept her world view as a starting point, i will in fact arrive at the same conclusions as her. Of course, i don't accept her world view as correct, but that's a matter of opinion, world views are inherently a priori.

Furthermore, she's one of very few people I've ever met smart to actually understand that people having a different world view does not make them 'stupid' or 'morons', because world views are not something determined rationally--they are inherently assumed, on the basis of a value judgement, and all value judgements are a priori. There is no way to prove something is better than anything else (morally, ethically, etc.) without making an assumption. (a fundamental premise of Nietzsche's rejection of the concepts of good and evil as polar opposites).

Dear god. Look at this, just thinking about her gets me into a discourse on philosophy.

Problem with most women (most people to be fair, but I'm not interested in guys, so they're not an issue) is that they have nothing interesting to say or on their minds. She always does. WE can talk literature, philosophy, science, religion (i'm an atheist, she's a fairly devout christian) and its always interesting and captivating.

Ever considered learning Chinese and coming to China/Taiwan to explore? Most of us in Hong Kong though are superficial and frivolous/strong, cold and hard.

In the affairs of the heart, one does need tonnes and tonnes of luck.

Thailand maybe :wink:

Unfortunately luck is a rather scarce quantity, its like a zero sum game, for every person with x amount of good luck, there's a guy with x amount of bad luck (or a group of people with bad luck totaling x, but you get the idea).

Love is definitely an attraction of forces. I like to say that love is when you can feel the other person's heart pumping your own blood.

the right skill and some luck...