Exploring the Transformation of Theta into Theta - Pi/2 in Complex Numbers

In summary: Therefore, $ie^{-i\theta}$ is equal to $e^{i\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)}$ which shows how the $i$ disappears on the right side. In summary, using Euler's formula and the co-function identities for sine and cosine, it can be demonstrated that $ie^{-i\theta}=e^{i\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)}$ and this is how the "i" disappears in the equation.
aruwin
Hi!
Can you tell me how the theta changes into theta minus pi/2? Can you show me, please?

Attachments

• complex.JPG
    complex.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 56
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use Euler's formula and the co-function identities for sine and cosine to demonstrate that:

\(\displaystyle ie^{-i\theta}=e^{i\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)}\)

MarkFL said:
Hint: Use Euler's formula and the co-function identities for sine and cosine to demonstrate that:

How did the "i" disappear?

aruwin said:

$i = e^{i \frac{\pi}{2}}$

The problem with this 'identity' is that in the first term there is the factor $\displaystyle e^{- j\ \theta} $ and in second there is the factor $\displaystyle e^{j\ \theta}$... and that is impossible!(Tmi)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The problem with this 'identity' is that in the first term there is the factor $\displaystyle e^{- j\ \theta} $ and in second there is the factor $\displaystyle e^{j\ \theta}$... and that is impossible!(Tmi)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Do you mean that the equation is actually wrong?

chisigma said:

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Except that the second term is out by a factor of "i", which DOES make it correct.

aruwin said:
Do you mean that the equation is actually wrong?

Yes, I do... the correct procedure in my opinion is...

$\displaystyle \frac{E_{s}^{2} - E_{s}\ E_{r}\ e^{- j\ \theta}}{- j\ X} = j\ \frac{E_{s}^{2}}{X} - j\ \frac{E_{s}\ E_{r}}{X}\ e^{- j\ \theta} = j\ \frac{E_{s}^{2}}{X} + \frac{E_{s}\ E_{r}}{X}\ e^{- j\ (\theta + \frac{\pi}{2})}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Yes, I do... the correct procedure in my opinion is...

$\displaystyle \frac{E_{s}^{2} - E_{s}\ E_{r}\ e^{- j\ \theta}}{- j\ X} = j\ \frac{E_{s}^{2}}{X} - j\ \frac{E_{s}\ E_{r}}{X}\ e^{- j\ \theta} = j\ \frac{E_{s}^{2}}{X} + \frac{E_{s}\ E_{r}}{X}\ e^{- j\ (\theta + \frac{\pi}{2})}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Could you explain to me how the j on the right disappeared?

aruwin said:
Could you explain to me how the j on the right disappeared?

... because is $\displaystyle j= e^{\ j\ \frac{\pi}{2}}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

aruwin said:

This is what I had in mind:

Use Euler's formula:

\(\displaystyle ie^{-i\theta}=i\left(\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta\right)\)

Use co-function identities:

\(\displaystyle ie^{-i\theta}=i\left(\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)-i\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)\right)\)

Distribute the $i$ and rearrange:

\(\displaystyle ie^{-i\theta}=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)+i\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)\)

Use Euler's formula:

Related to Exploring the Transformation of Theta into Theta - Pi/2 in Complex Numbers

1. What is the significance of exploring the transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 in complex numbers?

The transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 in complex numbers is significant because it can help us understand the geometric properties and behavior of complex numbers. It allows us to visualize and manipulate complex numbers in a more intuitive way, leading to new insights and applications in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How does the transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 affect the magnitude and phase of a complex number?

The transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 does not change the magnitude of a complex number, but it does change the phase by shifting it by -pi/2 radians. This means that the angle between the complex number and the real axis will decrease by pi/2.

3. Can the transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 be applied to all complex numbers?

Yes, the transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 can be applied to all complex numbers. It is a general transformation that can be used to manipulate any complex number, regardless of its magnitude or angle.

4. How is the transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 related to the trigonometric functions?

The transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 is closely related to the trigonometric functions, especially sine and cosine. It can be thought of as a rotation of the complex number in the complex plane, which is similar to the way sine and cosine can be used to rotate points on a unit circle in the Cartesian plane.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 in complex numbers?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the transformation of theta into theta - pi/2 in complex numbers. It is commonly used in signal processing, electronics, and control systems to analyze and manipulate complex signals and systems. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving complex numbers and their geometric properties.