Exponential decay and half life problem

In summary, the half life of C14 is 5730 years. If a sample of C14 has a mass of 20 micrograms at time t = 0, how much is left after 2000 years?
fatima_a
the half life of C14 is 5730 years. if a sample of C14 has a mass of 20 micrograms at time t = 0, how much is left after 2000 years?

I learned from somewhere that these exponential decay and half life problems use the equation

y = ab^t or y = a(1+r)^t

where y = total, a = initial amount, b or r = growth rate and t = time

I think I have to solve for b, but I am not sure which t to use, whether its t=0 or t = 2000. I know a is given to be 20mg, but is y also a...so I am not really sure how to go about solving this. The end answer is 20exp (-ln/5730)(2000)...but I have no idea how to get to that. Please help, I can't even find the start in this situation because the y and a are confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that a process has a "half life" means that there is a specific time, T, until, however much there was initially, there is half left.

Suppose there is initially "C". That is A(0)= C. Then after time, T, we have A(T)= (1/2)C. After another time, T, so a total of 2T, we have half of that: [itex]A(2T)= (1/2)((1/2)C)= (1/2)^2C[/itex]. After yet another time T, so a total of 3T, we have half of that: [itex]A(3T)= (1/2((1/2)^2C)= (1/2)^3C[/itex]. Do you see the point? If the total time is nT, we have [itex]A(nT)= (1/2)^n C[/itex]. If we write the total time as t= nT, then n= t/T so [itex]A(t)= (1/2)^{t/T} C[/itex]. We are simply multiplying by 1/2, for every multiple of "1/2" life. And that works even when it is not an integer multiple: if t= T/3, t/T= 1/3 and we have [itex]A(T/3)= (1/2)^{1/3}C[/itex].

the half life of C14 is 5730 years. if a sample of C14 has a mass of 20 micrograms at time t = 0, how much is left after 2000 years?
You know that [itex]A(t)= (1/2)^{t/T}C[/itex] where "T" is the half life (so T= 5730 years) and "C" is the initial amount (so C= 20 [itex]\mu grams[/itex]). You want to find A(t) with t= 2000 years. Notice that t and T are both in "years" so t/T will be a diensionless ratio.

(All exponentials are interchangeble. If we have [itex]y= a^x[/itex] and want to change it to base b, we can use the fact that exponential, base b, and logarithm, base b, are inverse: [itex]y= b^{log_b(a^x)}= b^{x log_b(a)}[/itex] so that [itex]a^x[/itex] becomes b to a multiple of x- that multiple being [itex]log_b(a)[/itex].)

Related to Exponential decay and half life problem

1. What is exponential decay and how does it relate to half life?

Exponential decay is a mathematical concept that describes the gradual decrease of a quantity over time. It is often used to model the decay of radioactive substances, where the rate of decay is proportional to the amount of substance present. The half life is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount of substance to decay. This relationship between decay rate and half life is described by an exponential decay curve.

2. How do you calculate the half life of a substance?

The half life of a substance can be calculated using the formula t1/2 = ln(2) / λ, where t1/2 is the half life, ln is the natural logarithm, and λ is the decay constant. The decay constant can be found by taking the natural logarithm of the ratio of the initial amount of substance to the amount remaining after one half life.

3. Can the half life of a substance change over time?

No, the half life of a substance is a constant and does not change. It is a fundamental characteristic of the substance and is not affected by external factors such as temperature or pressure.

4. How does the half life of a substance affect its usefulness?

The half life of a substance is important in determining its usefulness. Substances with longer half lives are more stable and have a longer lifespan, making them useful for applications such as medical imaging or nuclear power. On the other hand, substances with shorter half lives decay more quickly and are more useful for applications such as cancer treatment or radiocarbon dating.

5. Can half life be used to predict the exact amount of substance remaining after a certain amount of time?

No, the half life can only be used to predict the approximate amount of substance remaining after a certain amount of time. Exponential decay is a continuous process, and while the amount of substance remaining will always decrease by half after one half life, it will never reach zero. However, as the half life continues, the amount remaining will get closer and closer to zero.