Expressing expectation values of a particle moving in a periodic potential

In summary: You will want to use the fact that: In summary, a particle moving in a periodic potential can be described by a one-dimensional Hamiltonian ## \hat H = \hat p_x^2/2m + V_0(1-cos(\hat x))##. To find the time evolution of the expectation values for position and momentum, one can use Ehrenfest's theorem which relates the time derivatives of these values to the expectation values of the momentum and sine of the position. Additionally, a time-dependent Schrödinger equation can be written for this problem in real space.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A particle moving in a periodic potential has one-dimensional dynamics according to a Hamiltonian ## \hat H = \hat p_x^2/2m+V_0(1-cos(\hat x))##

a) Express ## \frac{d <\hat x>}{dt}## in terms of ##<\hat p_x>##.
b) Express ## \frac{d <\hat p_x>}{dt}## in terms of ##<sin(\hat x)>##.
c) Write a time-dependent Schrödinger equation for this problem in real space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's start with a. I am highly confused here, but there seems to be various routes I can go.

Usually I would calculate the expectation value <x> from a wave function. Can I still do this here with the Hamiltonian? Just straight up integrate H*xH over all space and then take that derivative and find a way to express it in terms of <px> (thus I'd have to take the expectation value for the momentum of the Hamiltonian?

I've been trying some things but running into a wall with this method.
Any tips on how to start off this problem would be great, I can then work on it and get back to this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
No you definitely do not want to try to integrate the operators.

Ehrenfest's theorem gives you a very useful set of relations that you can use to solve this problem.

Likes BvU

Related to Expressing expectation values of a particle moving in a periodic potential

1. What is a periodic potential and how does it affect particle motion?

A periodic potential is a type of potential energy that has a repeating pattern, similar to a wave. When a particle moves in a periodic potential, it experiences periodic forces that can either confine it to certain regions or allow it to move freely within a specific range. This potential can influence the trajectory and behavior of the particle, leading to interesting phenomena such as energy band formation and Bloch oscillations.

2. How is the expectation value of a particle's position calculated in a periodic potential?

The expectation value of a particle's position in a periodic potential is calculated using the Schrödinger equation and the wave function of the system. The wave function is a complex-valued function that describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position. By taking the average of this function over all positions, the expectation value can be found.

3. Can the expectation value of a particle's position change over time in a periodic potential?

Yes, the expectation value of a particle's position can change over time in a periodic potential. This is because the wave function, and therefore the expectation value, is dependent on time. As the particle moves through the periodic potential, the wave function will change and so will the expectation value.

4. How does the shape of the periodic potential affect the expectation value of a particle's position?

The shape of the periodic potential can greatly affect the expectation value of a particle's position. In a potential with high barriers, the particle will be confined to certain regions and the expectation value will be concentrated in those regions. In a potential with low barriers or a flat potential, the particle will have more freedom to move and the expectation value will be spread out over a wider range of positions.

5. Can the expectation value of a particle's position be used to predict its future motion in a periodic potential?

No, the expectation value of a particle's position cannot be used to predict its future motion in a periodic potential. The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with complete certainty. Therefore, the expectation value can only provide information about the most likely position of the particle, but cannot predict its exact future trajectory.