Expression of an electric field

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the electric field at a distance x from a thin rod with total charge Q. The equation for an electric field is provided and an attempt is made to find the electric field using an integral. However, it is discovered that the equation used is incorrect and the conversation continues with finding the correct equation, which involves using the linear charge density and the charge on a small element of the rod. The final correct equation is provided and the conversation concludes with a suggestion to make separate threads for each new question.
joe_cool2

Homework Statement

FIGURE P27.43 shows a thin rod of length L with total charge Q. Find an expression for the electric field at distance x from the rod. Give your answer in component form.

pointcharge.jpg

Homework Equations

Equation for an electric field:

E= [tex]\frac{KQ}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Exi = [tex] \frac {1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2} cos\theta [/tex]

Ex = [tex] \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{x^2+y^2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} [/tex]

Let's take the limit as n approaches infinity, thereby getting us an integral...

[tex] \int \frac{x}{(x^2 + y^2)^\frac{3}{2}} dy [/tex]

[tex] x \int \frac{dy}{(x^2 + y^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{x^2}{x^3} \int \frac{dy}{(x^2 + y^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{sin\theta}{x} + C [/tex]

[tex] \frac{y}{x\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} + C [/tex]

The actual x-component of the electric field should be this indefinite integral evaluated from 0 to L and multiplied by Q over 4 times pi times epsilon nought...

Ex = [tex] \frac {Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac {L}{x\sqrt{x^2+L^2}} [/tex]

The y-component may be evaluated in a similar manner.

Ey = [tex] \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{x^2+y^2} \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} [/tex]

Ey = [tex] \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{x^2+y^2} \frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{y}{(x^2 + y^2)^\frac{3}{2}} dy [/tex]

[tex] \frac{x^2}{x^3} \int \frac{tan\theta sec^2\theta d\theta}{sec^3\theta} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{-cos\theta}{x} + C [/tex]

[tex] \frac{-1}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}} [/tex]

y-component:

Ey = [tex] \frac {Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \left(\frac {1}{\sqrt{x^2+L^2}} - \frac {1}{x} \right) [/tex]

According to the odd answers in the back of my textbook, this is not correct!

So I did some even problems before this that were almost as complex, but not quite. I'd feel silly posting three separate topics, so perhaps I'll post them in this thread after this one is answered? According to the table of integrals in the back of my book, it looks like I'm doing it right, so maybe I set it up wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
joe_cool2 said:
Exi = [tex] \frac {1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2} cos\theta [/tex]

That's wrong. It's a line of charge not a point charge. You will have to start by finding the electric field due to very small part of the line charge. You will have to find what is the charge of that part and find the electric field due to it at the given point. Take the cos and sin components of the electric field you get due to the small part and integrate.

You're right. That is the equation for a point charge. As the problem continues, I integrate to come up with an infinite amount of point charges from y=0 to y=L. The reason I labeled that part Exi is because it is just one point charge out of N, as N approaches infinity.

I encourage you to take the time to read all my work including the integrals, and see if you can't find the problem with my work once you've done this.

What is the charge on a small element of the rod?
What you have used is Q, which is according to the question, the charge on the complete rod.
Consider an element dy on the rod at a distance y from the x-axis. What is the charge on this dy element? What is the electric field due to this small element on the given point?

If λ is the linear charge density ( Q/L), then
dEx= kλdycosθ/r2
Similarly dEy = kλdysinθ/r2
Now proceed as you have done.
To check the correct ness of the answer, put L equal to zero in both components. x component must reduce to the field due to point charge and y component should be equal to zero.

Pranav:
Yeah I forgot a delta in that expression. Whoops. But that's what I meant, delta q.

rl.bhat:
So what you're saying basically is that I forgot lambda? Thanks, I'll try it soon.

joe_cool2 said:
Ex = [tex] \frac {Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac {L}{x\sqrt{x^2+L^2}} [/tex]
The x in the denominator won't be there. You missed the x in the numerator while rewriting the expression. Check it.
Also, delta q*L = Q. So in your expression for Ex, L won't be also there in the numerator.

Okay, I got it now. If I ask other questions, should I do each one in a different thread? If I stuck to this thread, it would be less messy on the subforum...

Thank you Pranav and rl.bhat! :)

Last edited:
It's better you make a separate thread for each problem.

joe_cool2 said:
Okay, I got it now. If I ask other questions, should I do each one in a different thread? If I stuck to this thread, it would be less messy on the subforum...

Thank you Pranav and rl.bhat! :)
Read the Rules for this Forum. Make a new thread for any new question.

Related to Expression of an electric field

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is represented by a vector that describes the direction and magnitude of the force that an electrically charged particle would experience if placed at a specific point in space.

2. How is an electric field expressed?

An electric field is expressed as the force per unit charge, or as the potential difference per unit length. It can also be represented using electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the field at various points in space.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the electric charge, the distance between the charged particles or objects, and the permittivity of the medium in which the electric field exists.

4. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity in power plants, and controlling the movement of charged particles in particle accelerators. They are also used in technologies such as capacitors, photocopiers, and electrostatic precipitators.

5. How is an electric field different from a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by electrically charged particles or objects, while a magnetic field is created by moving charged particles. Electric fields exert forces on electrically charged particles, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving electrically charged particles. Additionally, electric fields are not affected by the motion of the observer, while magnetic fields are dependent on the observer's frame of reference.