IB Extended Essay Ideas (viscosity)?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of finding the viscosity of Newtonian liquids for an extended essay. The supervisor suggested refining the research question to focus on comparing different methods of finding viscosity and determining which one is more accurate. However, the individual still feels uncertain about the suitability of this topic and asks for suggestions on how to turn it into a more suitable extended essay topic. One suggestion is to analyze the motion of a mystery cylinder rolling down a ramp, as shown in a recent Veritasium video.
kamila
I'm starting the extended essay and have decided to explore more on finding the viscosity of Newtonian liquids. However I was told by my supervisor that this topic is too broad, and that I should come up with a more specific topic/research question— one that possibly relates to a real life, everyday situation (if possible). He suggested to refine my research to exploring the different methods of finding viscosity and determine which one is more accurate. I, however, still think that this topic is not suitable to be an extended essay research question.

Anyone can help with how I can turn this into an extended essay suitable topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Veritasium posted a video recently of 4 physics challenges and one was a mystery cylinder rolling down a ramp. His answer was quite cool and was related to viscosity.

Perhaps you could analyze the motion of the system as a project.

Here's the two video links:

and the solution:

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is often described as the thickness or "stickiness" of a liquid, and it is affected by factors such as temperature and pressure.

2. How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity can be measured using various methods, such as viscometers or rheometers. These instruments apply a shear stress to the fluid and measure the resulting deformation, allowing for the calculation of the fluid's viscosity.

3. What are some real-world applications of viscosity?

Viscosity plays a crucial role in many industries, including food and beverage production, oil and gas exploration, and pharmaceuticals. It is also important in everyday life, as it affects the flow of liquids such as honey, syrup, and motor oil.

4. How does temperature affect viscosity?

In general, as temperature increases, the viscosity of a liquid decreases. This is because higher temperatures cause molecules to move more quickly and disrupt the intermolecular forces that contribute to viscosity. However, this relationship may not hold true for all liquids.

5. What are some potential IB Extended Essay ideas related to viscosity?

Some potential essay ideas related to viscosity could include investigating the effect of temperature on the viscosity of different liquids, comparing the viscosity of various types of oils, or exploring the relationship between viscosity and the flow rate of different liquids. Another idea could be to examine the impact of additives on the viscosity of a specific liquid.