Help with Physics Extended Essay

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their topic for their Physics EE, considering windmills and the relationship between static friction coefficient and temperature. They are unsure about the reliability of these topics and are seeking advice or suggestions for a new topic. They are encouraged to research the current limitations of wind turbine design to guide their investigation.
NameNotFound
Well, I'm just finishing my first year with the IB program and we're starting our extended essay (a 4000 words investigation). I am posting here because i need help with the topic (I've chosen to do a Physics EE).
So far I've came up with windmills and to determine factors that affect its efficiency. However i don't know if a windmill experiment is relieable (since it involves aerodynamics, which is discouraged by the IB).
Also, I could do the relationship between the static friction coeffciente and tempeture but i don't know how reliable is this for a 4000 word essay.
Any ideas for a new topic or some advice?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
NameNotFound said:
Well, I'm just finishing my first year with the IB program and we're starting our extended essay (a 4000 words investigation). I am posting here because i need help with the topic (I've chosen to do a Physics EE).
So far I've came up with windmills and to determine factors that affect its efficiency. However i don't know if a windmill experiment is relieable (since it involves aerodynamics, which is discouraged by the IB).
Also, I could do the relationship between the static friction coeffciente and tempeture but i don't know how reliable is this for a 4000 word essay.
Any ideas for a new topic or some advice?
Thanks

How much of wind turbine design do you currently understand? The theoretical limit for efficiency is given by Betz's law, which is approached closely by modern wind turbine designs. Have you done any research into the current shortcomings of those modern designs (GE comes to mind) to help focus your investigation? Is temperature one of those factors?

These are the kinds of questions you should be thinking about. Let the current limitations of design guide your research.

1. What is a Physics Extended Essay?

A Physics Extended Essay is a research paper that explores a specific topic in the field of physics in depth. It is a requirement for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, and typically ranges from 3,000 to 4,000 words in length.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Physics Extended Essay?

Choosing a topic for your Physics Extended Essay can be challenging, but it is important to select a topic that you are genuinely interested in and have some knowledge about. You can also consult with your teachers and other experts in the field to get ideas and guidance.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a Physics Extended Essay?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a Physics Extended Essay include not following the proper structure and format, not conducting thorough research, and not properly citing sources. It is also important to avoid using overly complex language and to clearly explain any equations or concepts used in your essay.

4. How can I ensure that my Physics Extended Essay is well-written and well-researched?

To ensure that your Physics Extended Essay is well-written and well-researched, it is important to start early and give yourself enough time to conduct thorough research and write multiple drafts. It is also helpful to get feedback from your peers, teachers, and other experts in the field to improve your essay.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me with my Physics Extended Essay?

Yes, there are various resources and tools that can help you with your Physics Extended Essay. These include online databases for research, citation generators, and writing guides. Your teachers and school library may also have resources specifically for IB Extended Essays.