(extended) Page-Wootters formalism

• I
  • Thread starter Heidi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary: So if I said the norm is##||\psi|| = |(\psi,\psi)|^{1/2}##would that make more sense to you?No, I don't think that would make much sense at all.
Heidi
Hi Pfs,
I am beginning to read this short paper
https://arxiv.org/abs/1504.04215
(quantum time)
i read things like that on first page:
Ht is the space of a system T (we call it the clock system) isomorphic to a Hilbrt space of a particle on a line. this space is equipped with
coordinates T and Omega (with [T,Omega] = i. they represent position and momentum
they say that according to certain restrictions (which ones?) they can be interpreted as time and energy indicators.
I would like to read your comments on these restrictions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi said:
they say that according to certain restrictions (which ones?) they can be interpreted as time and energy indicators.
The projector onto the physical state subspace given in equation (1).

Likes Heidi
thanks for the answer. other questions will follow....

I do not understand what is (mathematically) the norm in equation 26.
How is it defined?
thanks.

Heidi said:
I do not understand what is (mathematically) the norm in equation 26.
How is it defined?
thanks.
It's the typical Hilbert space norm induced by the inner product.

I see that you like short answers :smile:
could you give details about the inner product which is used here?

Heidi said:
I see that you like short answers :smile:
The answer he gave was perfectly appropriate for an "A" level thread. (Indeed, more than should have been needed--see below.)

Heidi said:
could you give details about the inner product which is used here?
If you don't know what a Hilbert space inner product is, you do not have the background knowledge for an "A" level thread. (Indeed, even your question about the norm does not show that level of background knowledge.)

I am changing the thread level to "I".

Likes LittleSchwinger
Heidi just to say, in a friendly way, if you don't immediately know what a Hilbert space product is it will be very difficult to learn the Page-Wooter formalism. What textbooks have you used to learn Quantum Theory?

Likes Demystifier
Zee,Robert Wald....

Do you mean Wald's "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics"?

I read these books a long time ago. i am 76 years old now...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Demystifier
No worries!

So if I said the norm is
##||\psi|| = |(\psi,\psi)|^{1/2}##
would that make more sense to you?

With ##(\psi,\psi)## being the usual inner product between vectors in a Hilbert space.

Heidi said:
Zee,Robert Wald....
That explains why you don't know what is Hilbert space. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy
Demystifier said:
That explains why you don't know what is Hilbert space. :oldbiggrin:
Wald's monograph discusses those in some detail so I don't think he can be the reason.

(Zee is another matter, though...)

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Wald's monograph discusses those in some detail so I don't think he can be the reason.
Wald discusses it at a rather abstract and advanced level, which is hard to understand for someone who haven't seen it before at a more concrete and elementary level. If Wald and Zee are the only quantum books that he has seen in his life, it's very hard to learn basics of QM just from that.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Page-Wootters formalism?

The Page-Wootters formalism is a mathematical framework used to describe the evolution of a quantum system in terms of its density matrix. It was developed by physicists Don Page and William Wootters in the 1980s.

2. How is the Page-Wootters formalism different from other formalisms?

The Page-Wootters formalism is unique in that it takes into account the entanglement between different parts of a quantum system, rather than treating them as separate entities. This allows for a more complete description of the system's evolution.

3. What is the significance of the extended Page-Wootters formalism?

The extended Page-Wootters formalism expands upon the original formalism by incorporating the concept of decoherence, which is the loss of quantum coherence due to interactions with the environment. This allows for a more realistic description of quantum systems in real-world situations.

4. What are some applications of the Page-Wootters formalism?

The Page-Wootters formalism has been used in various fields of physics, including quantum information theory, quantum computing, and quantum thermodynamics. It has also been applied to cosmology, specifically in the study of black holes and the information paradox.

5. Are there any limitations to the Page-Wootters formalism?

Like any mathematical formalism, the Page-Wootters formalism has its limitations. It is most useful for describing closed quantum systems and may not be as applicable to open systems that are constantly interacting with their environment. Additionally, it does not provide a complete solution to the measurement problem in quantum mechanics.