Extending an infinitesimal operator

In summary, when extending an infinitesimal operation to a finite one in Quantum Mechanics, the correct procedure is to take the limit as N tends to infinity. This is done by dividing the finite angle into N parts and performing N small rotations of phi/N each, resulting in the desired finite rotation. This is why we multiply the infinitesimal operator N times instead of summing it up.
davidge
I notice that in Quantum Mechanics when extending an infinitesimal operation to a finite one, we should end with the exponential. For example: (rf. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics)

$$
D(\boldsymbol{\hat n}, d\phi) = 1 - \frac{i}{\hbar} ( \boldsymbol {J \cdot \hat n})d\phi
$$

This is the infinitesimal version of the rotation operator, where ##\boldsymbol{\hat n}## is a unit vector and ##J## is the angular-momentum operator. Now the "finite" version of the rotation operator, that generates a rotation by a finite angle (meaning non-infinitesimal angle) is

$$
\lim_{N \to \infty}[1 - \frac{i}{\hbar} (\boldsymbol{J \cdot \hat n})\frac{\phi}{N}]^N = exp[- \frac{i}{\hbar} (\boldsymbol{J \cdot \hat n})d\phi]
$$

My question here is how does one know that the correct procedure for going to infinitesimal to finite operations is to take that limit above?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The idea behind taking this limit is simply this: to get a finite rotation, we make infinitely many infinitesimal rotations (albeit with the proper weighting to ensure that we do indeed arrive at the desired finite rotation angle in the end).

Likes davidge
@Fightfish Thanks for replying.
Fightfish said:
to get a finite rotation, we make infinitely many infinitesimal rotations
But why this procedure takes that form in my example? For example, why don't divide all terms by N and after exponentiate it? Why that particular form of dividing the angle ##\phi## by ##N## and after exponentiating the two terms?

Is this because in the limit as ##N## tends to infinity ##(\phi / N)## tends to ##d\phi##, and also we should mutiply the infinitesimal operator ##N## times? But why should we multiply it instead of summing up?

Last edited:
Hmm...I'm not sure where your confusion is.
Let's consider applying ##D(\varphi)## twice. If ##\varphi## is small enough, then ##D(\varphi) D(\varphi) = D(2\varphi)##.

Conversely, the opposite decomposition holds as well: ##D(\varphi) = D(\varphi/2) D(\varphi/2)##. In a similar fashion I could also do ##D(\varphi) = D(\varphi/3) D(\varphi/3) D(\varphi/3)## and ##D(\varphi) = [D(\varphi/N) ]^N ##. This decomposition is only true if ##\varphi/N## is small enough of course - so to ensure that, we go ahead and take the limit ##N \to \infty##.

So, you see that what we are doing is chopping up the finite angle ##\varphi## into ##N## parts, and do ##N## small rotations of ##\varphi/N## each in order to achieve the final overall rotation.

You do not divide the whole expression by ##N## because what we are looking for is ##D(\varphi/N)##, not ##D(\varphi)/N##.

Likes vanhees71 and davidge
Ah, ok. I see now. Thank you !

1. What is an infinitesimal operator?

An infinitesimal operator is a mathematical concept used in calculus and differential equations to represent small, incremental changes in a function. It is often denoted by the symbol "d" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How can an infinitesimal operator be extended?

An infinitesimal operator can be extended by applying it to a function or by combining it with other operators. This allows for the operator to act on a larger range of functions and result in more complex mathematical expressions.

3. What is the purpose of extending an infinitesimal operator?

Extending an infinitesimal operator allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of a function. It also allows for the application of more advanced mathematical techniques, such as the chain rule and integration by parts.

4. Are there limitations to extending an infinitesimal operator?

Yes, there are limitations to extending an infinitesimal operator. The resulting mathematical expressions may become more complex and difficult to solve, and there may be cases where the extended operator is not applicable.

5. How is extending an infinitesimal operator used in real-world applications?

Extending an infinitesimal operator is used in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and economics. It is particularly useful in modeling and analyzing continuous systems and processes, where small changes can have a significant impact.