External resources to help prepare for Electromagnetism?

In summary: It seems like a good fit for my mathematics background. I also appreciate your insights on video lectures, I will keep that in mind when studying. In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggles with a physics module and their search for external resources, particularly video lectures, to help them understand the concepts better. The recommended resource is Griffiths' "Introduction to electrodynamics", and the student's mathematics background is mentioned as a factor in their choice. The usefulness of video lectures is also discussed and the student expresses their gratitude for the suggestion and advice.
The Blind Watchmaker
Some background info: I am an international student that is currently studying at a supposedly prestigious university (Top 20 in QS and Times Higher Education ranking). As part of my major requirement, I am taking an EM module. The problem is, my forte is not really physics (I am an IBO medalist). My professor knows how to explain the concepts well (he presents excellent demonstrations too), but the lecture questions given pale in comparison to the tutorials and midterms. As such, I would usually refer to external resource when studying (currently using Purcell). Can you guys recommend other external resources ? (I would prefer video lectures, something like Walter Lewin's videos, but more in-depth). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can try Griffith "Introduction to electrodynamics". I've never read it, but I read other books written by Griffiths and I really enjoyed its way of explaining things. Download a pdf version and see if you like it.

BTW I gave a look at the Purcell: it seems a very nice books. I don't think you can expect much more from a book. I also think you should forget the video lectures because I don't think they work (my opinion though). I think video lectures are good when you already know enough and you watch them just to refresh ideas.

Ric

What is your mathematics background? If you know calculus, Griffiths is a good choice, otherwise look at an intro physics book like Serway.

Dishsoap said:
What is your mathematics background? If you know calculus, Griffiths is a good choice, otherwise look at an intro physics book like Serway.
I got an A+ for my multivariable calc course so I believe that I have a solid understanding. Thanks, I will give Griffiths a try!

dRic2 said:
Maybe you can try Griffith "Introduction to electrodynamics". I've never read it, but I read other books written by Griffiths and I really enjoyed its way of explaining things. Download a pdf version and see if you like it.

BTW I gave a look at the Purcell: it seems a very nice books. I don't think you can expect much more from a book. I also think you should forget the video lectures because I don't think they work (my opinion though). I think video lectures are good when you already know enough and you watch them just to refresh ideas.

Ric
Thank you for your suggestion, I will give Griffiths a try.

1. What types of external resources can I use to prepare for Electromagnetism?

There are many types of external resources you can use to prepare for Electromagnetism, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, videos, and study groups.

2. How do I know which external resources are credible and reliable?

When choosing external resources, it is important to check the author's credentials and the source's reputation. Look for resources from reputable organizations or educational institutions.

3. Are there any specific online resources that are helpful for studying Electromagnetism?

Yes, there are many online resources specifically designed for studying Electromagnetism, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics. These websites offer interactive simulations, lectures, and practice problems.

4. Is it beneficial to join a study group for preparing for Electromagnetism?

Yes, joining a study group can be extremely helpful for preparing for Electromagnetism. It allows you to discuss and review concepts with others, ask questions, and learn from different perspectives.

5. How often should I use external resources to prepare for Electromagnetism?

The frequency of using external resources will depend on your individual study habits and schedule. However, it is recommended to use them regularly, such as a few times a week, to reinforce and supplement your understanding of the subject.